Beefmaster Heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

Williamsv

Reaction score
Are Beefmaster heifers slower maturing than other breeds? I have two that will soon be two years old and neither of them are bred yet. They have been with the bull since Oct. and will be two years old in May.I am getting concerned about them.

Williamsv":1g8lsgmk said:
Are Beefmaster heifers slower maturing than other breeds? I have two that will soon be two years old and neither of them are bred yet. They have been with the bull since Oct. and will be two years old in May.I am getting concerned about them.

Slower maturing, but not that slow.

i have yet to raise a reg beefmaster heifer that wouldnt breed at a reasonable time for the 1st time.all of the heifers i keep are raised on grass and hay none to little grain.they breed and calve by the time they are 2yrs old.plus they breed back fairly quickly.if i was you id take the heifers and the bull and have them checked.something doesnt seen right.

It is not my bull. No problem with other heifers. I saved these two heifers from Beefmaster heifers that were already bred to a Beefmaster bull when I bought them. I am going to get my vet to look at them. Thanks for your comments.

These two heifers were born after I purchased their mothers who were bred to a Beefmaster bull. I have a black angus bull. They were both born a week apart in May 2013. They are both first heifer calves. Could that have something to do with it? I probably should not have saved them, but did. They both grew off very fast and made pretty heifers. Just got to looking at them today and started wondering. I like to cross beefmaster heifers with a black angus bull.

Williamsv":2z6he9av said:
These two heifers were born after I purchased their mothers who were bred to a Beefmaster bull. I have a black angus bull. They were both born a week apart in May 2013. They are both first heifer calves. Could that have something to do with it? I probably should not have saved them, but did. They both grew off very fast and made pretty heifers. Just got to looking at them today and started wondering. I like to cross beefmaster heifers with a black angus bull.

It should work well as a cross, I only have had 1 in the last 5 years not breed. What lineage are those heifers out of? are they big enough?

These heifers are from Beefmaster cows and a Beefmaster bull. The heifers mothers were already bred to a Beefmaster bull when I bought them. They are big heifers now. Certainly big enough and old enough to be bred by now. I have not had this happen with any Black Angus heifers that I have saved. I like to cross the Beefmasters and Black Angus. They produce some fine calves. That is why I wanted to keep these two heifers. I am really worried about them. Will soon have to decide what to do. One of them has a small set of udders and I cannot see that the other one even has any. I should have checked them sooner, but never expected this.
They came from fine stock. The bull was purchased in Texas. The grower here that I bought them from has been raising Beefmasters for many years. The heifers mothers raised two fine Angus cross calves this last year. These two calves at six months old sold, the bull for over $1300 and the heifer over $1100 last December. I was so proud of them and thought I had two more heifers coming on to raise from.

My first question is, how do you know they are not bred? Have they been preg checked? When were they put in with the bull?

I do not know that they are not bred. I have not seen the bull with either of them. I check cows twice a day. Maybe they are. I will get them checked, but will probably sell both of them. I know this has not happened with my angus heifers.

Latest posts