Beef Trends

Help Support CattleToday:

Idaho Angus Breeder

Reaction score
I was wondering if anybody could tell me what the trend is for cattle this year? In the past they liked cattle that are long and tall, and I am wondering if the trend is still the same? :D thanks for your replies!!!!!!!![/b]

I've been under the impression that the trend the last few years, in most places, is moderate (6 frame) size with some depth and spring of rib, thickness, and of course good length. You can't eat the space beneath the belly, but you do need some clearance. They don't like floppy dewlaps around here. There is a demand for adequate muscling.

Idaho Angus Breeder":2yqyg3p6 said:
I was wondering if anybody could tell me what the trend is for cattle this year? In the past they liked cattle that are long and tall, and I am wondering if the trend is still the same? :D thanks for your replies!!!!!!!![/b]

Who is "they?" In my part of the country, it's hard to sell a frame score 5 bull. When cattlemen come to look at bulls at my place, they'll almost always by the bigger, taller bull. But in Kansas, they sell more moderate framed bulls for a lot of money. And Kit Pharo apparently does great with small framed bulls. And then you have the show ring. "They" change what they want from show to show, depending on the judge and the breed.

Personally, I think the show ring and their judges have hurt the cattle business. The show ring seems to produce hard keeping cattle. I will sell my entire herd in the next couple of years, just so I can start over with easy fleshing cattle when the prices have bottomed out. Thinking of a Gert-Hereford cross. Opinions anyone? Its wet, hot, humid with plenty of parisites, here on the Gulf coast. Rodney

Personally, I think the show ring and their judges have hurt the cattle business. The show ring seems to produce hard keeping cattle. I will sell my entire herd in the next couple of years, just so I can start over with easy fleshing cattle when the prices have bottomed out. Thinking of a Gert-Hereford cross. Opinions anyone? Its wet, hot, humid with plenty of parisites, here on the Gulf coast. Rodney

The Gert-Hereford cross is working very well in the Gulf area for all of those doing it. Briggs and The Nunleys have excellent herds of Gert-Hereford crosses. Others have them too, but those are probably the biggest. If I were to cross my Gerts with anything, the first cross would probably be with Herefords.

Ryder":11ii0t2k said:
Brangus or Red Brangus might be good. Does anyone on the board have experience with the reds? Are they mostly overshadowed by the popularity of 'black'?

The eye of the beholder! Some reds are top quality some are not same goes with black and pink if they came in that color. But as far as trends go--the ignorant and oppressed seem to be riding hard after that black hided who know's what. As far as the Red Angus and RA influenced cattle--I feel like you have an added measure of predictability due to Total Herd Reporting. The Red Angus Association of America is working hard to educate and promote not only the 100% cattle but RA sired cattle as well.

the only reason there is black red angus is because the red angus guys are allowed to breed up using black angus.

Thanks for the replys on the cattle. We have used black and red brangus cattle in the herd. Theyare great cows and we still have them in the herd. I was thinking of the Gert-Herford because of their disposition, that I have heard is great. You start crowding those brangus of either color, some of them will try to get in your back pocket.

Brahmans and Highlanders are about the two lowest sell breeds up here. Somehow I don't think crossing Brahman with a Highlander would increase the value. But it would make an interesting cow.
Dave

Frankie":2b47vrjp said:
Idaho Angus Breeder":2b47vrjp said:

Who is "they?" In my part of the country, it's hard to sell a frame score 5 bull. When cattlemen come to look at bulls at my place, they'll almost always by the bigger, taller bull. But in Kansas, they sell more moderate framed bulls for a lot of money. And Kit Pharo apparently does great with small framed bulls. And then you have the show ring. "They" change what they want from show to show, depending on the judge and the breed.

I'm talking adout judges. :)

Size has moderated some in the local show scene, and most everywhere, the gutless wonders are long gone. They want some spring of rib and some hip, a clean front, thickness, and the judge of the moment's interpretation of "correct."

You won't get far in real-world, functional cattle if you change with the show fad whims.

Latest posts