Beef Heart

Help Support CattleToday:

CottageFarm

Reaction score
Have never used it before.
I've removed connective tissue, membranes and other assorted unpleasantries.

IMG_3879_zps5efdbab5.jpg

Now what :???:
Low & Slow...or rocket hot & fast. Will the meat benefit from a marinade and/or brine? Dry Rub? :help:

We eat beef heart as often as we can. Deer heart is better. We have always dusted with flour, salt/ pepper and fried in hot skillet. Don't cook too long or it gets tough. Pink on the inside is perfect. Awful good eatin. Only way we have eaten it.

We always wash it well, leaving it in tact. Put in kettle, put about an inch of water in bottom. Cover with bacon strips, onion slices and ground pepper. Bake at 350 until done, using roast interanl temps. Slice and eat. Some people will put some aplle slices on top also.

Thanks for the suggestions all.
As you can see, it's a bit too late to cook it whole :lol2:

Thanks, Jo! We make cutting boards to order for people.
I designed that one for ME! It's my favorite cutting board. It's Maple, Walnut and Purpleheart.

CottageFarm":1b88go6e said:
Have never used it before.
I've removed connective tissue, membranes and other assorted unpleasantries.

IMG_3879_zps5efdbab5.jpg

Now what :???:
Low & Slow...or rocket hot & fast. Will the meat benefit from a marinade and/or brine? Dry Rub? :help:

I have lived in some third world countries that eat all sorts of things - bugs included. I have even seen hooves of a camel boiled and chewed on for food value.

Be that as it may I am glad I am an adult.

I do not have to and NEVER will eat organ meat. It is good for dog food only!!

Cheers

Bez

CottageFarm":25cc065m said:
I designed that one for ME! It's my favorite cutting board. It's Maple, Walnut and Purpleheart.
:tiphat: If I was closer you would have my order!!

Thanks Alison! We have shipped them overseas in the past, but it's really steep now.

Bez :lol2: My husband agrees with you. I just thought I would give it a try once. I've been told it's tasty...but then some people actually like liver, too.... :lol2:

There were actually two hearts that I deconstructed. I decided to approach this as a culinary challenge :lol:
I took one piece and cut it into strips and did a quick stir fry. The flavor was unique. Fairly rich and sweet.
The texture was nasty. It drew up tight as soon as it hit the pan and never relaxed. The dog loved it. :D
I decided that since the heart is such a hard working muscle, high heat is not the correct approach. :dunce: I'm going to try low and slow in liquid next time (I'm thinking about enchiladas). I froze the rest for future attemps. I'll let you know how they work.

CottageFarm":2hae515l said:
Thanks for the suggestions all.
As you can see, it's a bit too late to cook it whole :lol2:

Fantastic craftmanship!! I may be pm'ing you with an order in the future.

Add some milk to the water when cooking it helps the flavor. Low and slow is definately the way to go or use a pressure cooker.

Oh no---guts-------no-no-no-no no no no. Cube it in smaller pieces--about the size of a 10/0 hook and freeze it till summertime. Catfish bait.
I'll stick with more traditional fare. As we say around here (topic related if ya say it fast enough)
Beans tonight be farts tomorrow.

:hide:

This thread got me to thinking that maybe if you layed the beef heart on a bed of beef liver, kidney, cage meat and lungs you might could turn it into something pretty good. So I'll start with that and maybe it could be turned into something that would be served at a five star restaurant.

IMG_7294_zps028a878f.jpg

Looks promising doesn't it!?!? :hide:

Looks a lot better than the last pictures. But I don't know about cleaning my plate?? You my friend won't ever go hungry.

Ah, I bet you'd clean your plate in a heartbeat if you could only get that first picture removed from your mind's eye. Its actually very good. Its amazing what you can make out of the fifth quarter.

Gotcha, I will try anything that someone else will try first. I ate grilled burnt stingray with some Vietnamese shrimpers and it wasn't all that bad. My Grandparents were Norwegian and boiled fish brains and eyes was something I had regularly, and it was good.

Its all how you prepare it - if you can get over what it is and that picture isn't burnt in your brain. :lol2: Heck, that pate' would sell for big bucks in a classy restaurant. Course this will be all sold in a couple of days. Especially when I pull the souse out. People around here love souse.