Beef Checkoff $2

Help Support CattleToday:

Herefordcross":1pfwepji said:
Watchin' RFDTV last night and saw where they wanna raise the checkoff to $2. I guess we'll loose another dollar per head/ per year.

Checkoff has turned into just another government tax to fund the NCBA/AMI interests....

I wouldn't mind the checkoff so much if they would use it to advertise USA beef instead of helping to advertise generic beef from every country of the world- but that will never happen as long as the makeup of the checkoff board is so that the NCBA runs it....

I think that the advertising that they do helps. BEEF, ITS WHATS FOR DINNER.......

Everyone knows that slogan.

I am willing to pay $1.50 but not $2

farmerjohn":11m5gcfa said:
I think that the advertising that they do helps. BEEF, ITS WHATS FOR DINNER.......

Everyone knows that slogan.

I am willing to pay $1.50 but not $2

I'd gladly pay $2- even $3- if the program was used to promote Raised in USA BEEF-- but I don't want to pay another dime if my dollar is continued to be used to promote Mexican, Australian, Canadian, Uruguayan, and from every point west of Timbuktu....

I'd gladly pay $2- even $3- if the program was used to promote Raised in USA BEEF-- but I don't want to pay another dime if my dollar is continued to be used to promote Mexican, Australian, Canadian, Uruguayan, and from every point west of Timbuktu....

well said I agree 110%

As far as I know American consumers don't know (in most cases) or even have a choice as to where their beef comes from. And most don't even care...
In my opinion, ANY advertising for beef is good because it helps us, the american cattleman

As far as I know American consumers don't know (in most cases) or even have a choice as to where their beef comes from.

You are right- with the current practice of allowing packers/retailers to remove any labels of country of import and replace with the USDA stamp- it is all passed off as US beef...

And most don't even care...

That I disagree with...I believe if given the chance many would pick US beef over those slaughtered in Mexican and Uruguayan slaughter plants that have questionable slaughtering practices...Also I think we missed a huge marketing period after 9/11 when the buy American-support America feelings were running at their highest. I also know now that with Canada finding so many BSE cattle, many want to identify out Canadian cattle- as have Taiwan and Korea....
I know here in Montana when given the opportunity the consumers ovewhelmingly supported the states M-COOL law- and the legislature overwhemingly passed it- which goes into effect at the end of this year... :D
The shrimp and fish industry has found that since they got M-COOL US consumers are choosing US product over the imported- so much so that even Walmart has quit handling the imports in many stores.....

In my opinion, ANY advertising for beef is good because it helps us, the american cattleman

Any advertising is good- but advertising our own product is a lot better...If we are going to compete in a global market- we need to identify and advertise our USA raised beef over the generic beef...

I don't see General Motors out advertising generic trucks- they don't promote Dodge, Ford and Toyota-- they promote GM products...So why should the US cattlemans advertising dollar be used to promote generic beef- from Mexico, Australia, and Canada-- it should single out and promote US raised BEEF.....

And most don't even care...

That I disagree with...I believe if given the chance many would pick US beef over those slaughtered in Mexican and Uruguayan slaughter plants that have questionable slaughtering practices...Also I think we missed a huge marketing period after 9/11 when the buy American-support America feelings were running at their highest. I also know now that with Canada finding so many BSE cattle, many want to identify out Canadian cattle- as have Taiwan and Korea....
I know here in Montana when given the opportunity the consumers ovewhelmingly supported the states M-COOL law- and the legislature overwhemingly passed it- which goes into effect at the end of this year... :D
The shrimp and fish industry has found that since they got M-COOL US consumers are choosing US product over the imported- so much so that even Walmart has quit handling the imports in many stores.....

Any advertising is good- but advertising our own product is a lot better...If we are going to compete in a global market- we need to identify and advertise our USA raised beef over the generic beef...

I don't see General Motors out advertising generic trucks- they don't promote Dodge, Ford and Toyota-- they promote GM products...So why should the US cattlemans advertising dollar be used to promote generic beef- from Mexico, Australia, and Canada-- it should single out and promote US raised BEEF.....[/quote]

Look at the woodworking industry. Now nearly all large power tools are made in Taiwan and China. Its a simple fact that Americans don't want to pay more to buy American. They may gripe and moan that we are losing our jobs but they will not pay the extra that an American made table saw costs.

But I do agree with you, we should be advertising American beef with our dollars, I just don't see it happening anytime soon and some advertising is better than none.

Most of the advetising I see is in farm related magazines and such. Kinda like preaching to the choir. I'd like to see more TV ads and radio ads and not at 5:30 a.m. JMO

Checkoff has turned into just another government tax to fund the NCBA/AMI interests....

I wouldn't mind the checkoff so much if they would use it to advertise USA beef instead of helping to advertise generic beef from every country of the world- but that will never happen as long as the makeup of the checkoff board is so that the NCBA runs it....

Wasn't there a big stink about the NCBA controlling the checkoff dollars? Being how we are paying for the checkoff shouldn't we have a say in it? Who do i need to call?

Oldtimer are you an RCALF man?

Beef11":2sn0xqy7 said:

Wasn't there a big stink about the NCBA controlling the checkoff dollars? Being how we are paying for the checkoff shouldn't we have a say in it? Who do i need to call?

Oldtimer are you an RCALF man?

Beef11- I am an R-CALF member.. I was an NCBA supporter and supported the checkoff, and helped promote the M-COOL law that NCBA originally developed---BUT-- when NCBA sold out to the Multinational Packers and Trade Interests, and flipflopped on M-COOL, and refused to allow the checkoff to be used to advertise US BEEF (altho the majority of funds is collected from US cattle producers) I left NCBA's following and after a few years joined R-CALF after I had seen how they fight for the individual cattleman.

If I understand the process right- In order to change and raise the checkoff fee they will have to get Congress/USDA to allow an election on it...Everyone that has sold at least one head of cattle should be eligible to vote.

Right now my thinking is that I will vote against the $2 fee- unless there is also an amendment to earmark that all fees collected on US cattle be used to promote US raised Beef only- and the makeup of the Beef Board is changed so that all Cattle producer and Beef Promotion (NCBA, R-CALF, Farmers Union, Farm Bureau, OCM, LMA ) groups are equally represented on the Beef Board and in the decision making process of how this tax money is awarded and spent.....

If you have any questions call Monte Reese with the Beef Board--He is a good guy, and I think he has good intentiions-- but his hands are kind of tied with NCBA running the show.. I have called him on a couple of occasions and got straight answers from him--even admitted to me that if NCBA keeps putting their name on Checkoff funded projects and using the Checkoff as their private promotional tool- we could lose the checkoff entirely- especially now since the Supreme Court has ruled the checkoff fee is essentially a government controlled tax...But again he can't say much as he is hired or fired by the NCBA dominated Beef Board :roll:

The first thing we need to do is get the NCBA/Beef Board offices separated- even if this takes Congressional Oversight...A tax funded checkoff board should not be sharing offices/personell with a Political Action Group-NCBA....

NCBA keeps putting their name on Checkoff funded projects and using the Checkoff as their private promotional tool

That scares me when a politcally charged group has a mandatory charge against all cattleman for or against them. I'm not affiliated with either group (NCBA or RCALF) but will someday have to choose where i stand, I may back both sides depending on the issue at hand. I'm of the opinion RCALF should get a say in the checkoff dollar use. I would feel safer knowing that the NCBA and RCALF decided on how it would be used. I don't agree at all with checkoff dollars being used to promonte competitors beef. Are We Stupid? We have to compete with their unregulated production methods no sense in us promoting their product.

I personally believe the consumer has a right to know where his meat came from. I am even a fan of knowing by region. The Branded beef programs which are gaining in popularity are proof that the consumer cares. If we want a stronger market for Beef we need to let the consumer know where it comes from.

farmerjohn":2klytp22 said:
As far as I know American consumers don't know (in most cases) or even have a choice as to where their beef comes from. And most don't even care...

has the price you get for your product gone up 100%? My sale prices havent.

Latest posts