Beef Calf weight

Help Support CattleToday:

zieraye1

Reaction score
Hi all,
My name is MacKenzie Willman, and I'm a writing living in Grangeville, Idaho.

My question is: On average, how much should a healthy Angus calf weight at four months?

I guess I'm looking in the correct spot, so thanks, in advance.

zieraye1":o4o2dz83 said:
Hi all,

My question is: On average, how much should a healthy Angus calf weight at four months?

Hi MacKenzie. There are a lot of variables to be considered on the weight. Breeding lineage, time of year born, forage available, still on dam and more. But you asked for "on average" so I would offer 100# per month in age during that time frame equals 400 pounds.

fitz":1oq7xviu said:
zieraye1":1oq7xviu said:
Hi all,

Hi MacKenzie. There are a lot of variables to be considered on the weight. Breeding lineage, time of year born, forage available, still on dam and more. But you asked for "on average" so I would offer 100# per month in age during that time frame equals 400 pounds.
My guess based on 80 lb birthweight and 3 lbs a day gain is around 440 , give or take

Hi all,

Oh, I am sooo embarrassed. I meant I am a writer living in Grangeville, Idaho. OY!

Ok, my story is set around Miles City, Montana. This is a long time family owned ranch, and they've been raising cattle for six generations, so I figure the hero and family know what they're doing. Wish I could say the same. ;-)

The calve in Feb, and are taking the herd to summer pasture mid-June. So, 350-450 lbs ish would be acceptable, and not jerk the reader out of the story, then?

Thank you all,

M

I have no idea in what context you want to use the information...but if you're talking many years ago and the cattle were smaller framed than what they are raising today and the conditions harsh..... 75 lb calf doubling it's weight in 60 days [150 lbs] then doubling it again to 300 lbs at 4 months would be 225 lb gain in 120 days = 1.88 lbs per day
perhaps to use as a reference point from what they started with 'moving 300 lb calves back in the day' to moving 400 lb calves to show the progress the family's herd has made over time.

Latest posts