Basin Payweight

Help Support CattleToday:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
1682. What are his progeny's feet and udders like?

Same question about Final Answer although they are becoming fewer. Do not tolerate bad bags and curly toes.

I have a 1682 son I am using now. He is a decent little bull, he is small but put together well. Frame size may just be this particular one and I knew going in he was no giant. I bought him to breed heifers with and he is doing a good job of that and it has worked out that he is my herd bull at current. Calved out a bunch last year totally unassisted and have a bunch more coming this year. Calves are nice and blocky but seem to be small as well but I have small cows also. As for udders I don't have any females of that age so I can't speak on that. His feet are excellent and he moves really well with a good disposition. I know he was very sought after for quite some time and stayed sold out for a year or so. You have much better cattle than I do so I can't help but think they would be some nice calves.

I have a 1682 son I am using now. He is a decent little bull, he is small but put together well. Frame size may just be this particular one and I knew going in he was no giant. I bought him to breed heifers with and he is doing a good job of that and it has worked out that he is my herd bull at current. Calved out a bunch last year totally unassisted and have a bunch more coming this year. Calves are nice and blocky but seem to be small as well but I have small cows also. As for udders I don't have any females of that age so I can't speak on that. His feet are excellent and he moves really well with a good disposition. I know he was very sought after for quite some time and stayed sold out for a year or so. You have much better cattle than I do so I can't help but think they would be some nice calves.
Thanks, there are a couple of nice ones in a sale up here that look pretty good.

I have never used the bull personally. I am trying to improve the feet in my cowherd thus likely the closest I will get to him is a grandson. I tend to watch a fair bit of bull videos and see a decent percentage of his sons that are short tailed or exhibiting a modified tail. I do not want that in my herd either.

Last edited:
With the start of my herd coming through basin's dispersion and marketing bulls through them my first few years back from 2012 through 2016 i have quite a bit of payweight influence in my herd.. I dont have a lot of daughters of 1682, have a few 107s daughters and one son around but have a lot of cows with payweight in their pedigree. I have had very good luck with them, looking back at one's I have culled for feet over the years I only see one with payweight influence with a payweight 9333 as a grandsire

That is good to know. I really can't take chances anymore on the foot deal. I used Connealy Courage thinking he would be good for feet but they are extremely shallow heeled. They are really nice and raise solid calves.The only bull I have used AI that improved feet was Niagara and I don't like the females out of him.

That is good to know. I really can't take chances anymore on the foot deal. I used Connealy Courage thinking he would be good for feet but they are extremely shallow heeled. They are really nice and raise solid calves.The only bull I have used AI that improved feet was Niagara and I don't like the females out of him.
What didn't you like about the Niagara females?

Poor breed up as yearlings. The ones that got bred tend to be coarse or woody made in my opinion. They are not real quiet cows in close quarters. None of them are aggressive mean just not barn pets.

I think Payweight is a nice bull, but I think he needs crossed correctly.
I'd use him on taller cows, not short ones.