Baseball Cards

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I collected a ton of baseball cards as a kid thinking for the future they will be worth money. I spent most of my allowances as a kid buying them and have a great collection nearly 4000 cards. I have been following the prices of some of the better cards over the last few years and boy was that a waste of money they aren't worth hardly squat. They were worth more in the 80's and 90's than they are today. Has anyone else found the same thing with the baseball cards they collected? I am wondering if I should even keep them or should I toss them.

Went through mine a couple of years ago, have no idea how many. Several players had turned into big names and I was able to find several rookie cards worth some money. Bonds, McQwire, Griffey, etc... That era. I won't sell them so it didn't matter but I did take the better cards and put them in my safe. I need to just pitch the rest or put them on E-bay as a lot. Somebody will buy them just to pick through. Got hosed on a Sam Bradford rookie card a few years ago; he had better get with it. Mark Sanchez too.

Card shop went in for a year or so. It was fun to go look and occasionally pick up a pack for nostalgic reasons. The money is in the old stuff or the truly elite players. So many varieties nowadays too.

Yea, I agree. I got alot of jose canseco and bo jackson cards with him doing baseball and football thinking they would be where its at and they arent worth what I paid for them. I should have been doing penny stocks lol

My brother has every Bo card made. Love him growing up. Got a bash brothers card with Canseco that used to be worth some. I need to buy a current Beckett edition, surelythat is still the go to valuation tool.

Favorite card is an Ozzie Smith rookie; one of the best if not the best Christmas presents I've ever received. Have some more valuable but this one is not for sale.

I have the dream team series from the 90's and also some nolan ryan cards including a rookie card or mvp car from 90's I also have the cards by donruss I think is who produced the cards for all the managers. My favorite card is the BO breaker card where he is breaking the bat. Most of the cards I have are score cards mixed with topps upper deck and donruss.

3 of my 4 sons where heavily into buying sports cards, spent every dime of their allowance on them. They would buy card magizines to see the current value of them and get hooked further. I tried and tried to tell them those prices are not real prices, the card is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. I even took them to card shops a few times to try to sell them, if they chose to, at magizine prices, same answer from vendors ever time ..... That's retail value. They never learned until girls and cars came into play. I now have their cards and I'm sure they are worth more on the closet shelf than anywhere else.

Alan":3nr243a6 said:
3 of my 4 sons where heavily into buying sports cards, spent every dime of their allowance on them. They would buy card magizines to see the current value of them and get hooked further. I tried and tried to tell them those prices are not real prices, the card is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. I even took them to card shops a few times to try to sell them, if they chose to, at magizine prices, same answer from vendors ever time ..... That's retail value. They never learned until girls and cars came into play. I now have their cards and I'm sure they are worth more on the closet shelf than anywhere else.

Very true I learned later in life. I collected heavily till I was about 13 then mom took them and put them up for me and still has them in her house in a safe till this day. I looked at them while visiting her in july and looked up some prices and was very disappointed. I tell ya I wish I had some of those tobacco baseball cards.

I don't think they even had them when I was a kid. A penny was a lot of money....even for a card that came with a stick of gum. Spent what little money I had on candy cigarettes. :mrgreen:

TexasBred":3m1d6qo5 said:
I don't think they even had them when I was a kid. A penny was a lot of money....even for a card that came with a stick of gum. Spent what little money I had on candy cigarettes. :mrgreen:

Hey! Candy cigarettes are not PC! In fact they don't even sell them anymore! Oh and BTW, one of my favorite candies going up, mom bought them for me all the time, loved them and smoked them. Also I never smoked in my life other than in a poker game with buddies and if we didn't have beer and cigars it was beer and cigs!

BB cards when I was growing up was a nickel and the gum tasted like cr@p, but I still bought them and chewed the gum. :lol:

Alan":12mozxjd said:
TexasBred":12mozxjd said:

Hey! Candy cigarettes are not PC! In fact they don't even sell them anymore! Oh and BTW, one of my favorite candies going up, mom bought them for me all the time, loved them and smoked them. Also I never smoked in my life other than in a poker game with buddies and if we didn't have beer and cigars it was beer and cigs!

BB cards when I was growing up was a nickel and the gum tasted like cr@p, but I still bought them and chewed the gum. :lol:

Seems smoking is not PC anywhere anymore. Can hardly smoke anywhere, but ok for the guy next to you to be spewing his dip all over everything or walking around with a cup full of spit !!

Baseball cards have tanked big time over the last 7 or 8 years. Unless you have a Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner or Joe DiMaggio, Stan Musial etc.. Like everything else it might become in-vogue again in a few years so I would hang on to them. Throw them away and you are guaranteed to get 0 for them. 4k cards don't take up too much space. You never know.....in 20 years the Nolan Ryan card may be worth quite a bit.

Not bb cards, but I had an action comics volume 1 superman. Left it at my parents house when I got married. Nobody has seen it since. If my mom threw it out, it's my fault for leaving it. I wasn't in to comic books. It was about the only one I had. I took it to a comic book store once. The guy talked like it was the holy grail of books. With my luck it was probably a reproduction any way. The back cover, was all but missing. I know condition is everything to a collector. He said that may not exactly apply to this comic.

Never played with cards, comics or any of that stuff. I spent my time shooting robins and Fe larks or riding my bike

HOSS":maaz3dav said:
Baseball cards have tanked big time over the last 7 or 8 years. Unless you have a Babe Ruth, Honus Wagner or Joe DiMaggio, Stan Musial etc.. Like everything else it might become in-vogue again in a few years so I would hang on to them. Throw them away and you are guaranteed to get 0 for them. 4k cards don't take up too much space. You never know.....in 20 years the Nolan Ryan card may be worth quite a bit.

yea i guess i better keep them excellent point

Bigfoot":28704m9r said:
Not bb cards, but I had an action comics volume 1 superman. Left it at my parents house when I got married. Nobody has seen it since. If my mom threw it out, it's my fault for leaving it. I wasn't in to comic books. It was about the only one I had. I took it to a comic book store once. The guy talked like it was the holy grail of books. With my luck it was probably a reproduction any way. The back cover, was all but missing. I know condition is everything to a collector. He said that may not exactly apply to this comic.
The estimated valve of that comic book is $200,000 in poor condition. Up to 400,000 in good condition.

Isomade":3ecrtvp2 said:
Bigfoot":3ecrtvp2 said:
The estimated valve of that comic book is $200,000 in poor condition. Up to 400,000 in good condition.

She swears I took it with me, when I left home. I think I left it there. She is a bigger neat freak than I am. If I left it there, it's long gone. Either way it hasn't been seen in over 20 years. I made my peace with it a long time ago.

M5farm":2y7f9oz7 said:
Never played with cards, comics or any of that stuff. I spent my time shooting robins and Fe larks or riding my bike
like mad Max said.. when your a kid their pictures of your hero's. but when your a grown man, there pictures of other men :lol2:

Bigfoot":3auqqavx said:
Isomade":3auqqavx said:
Bigfoot":3auqqavx said:

She swears I took it with me, when I left home. I think I left it there. She is a bigger neat freak than I am. If I left it there, it's long gone. Either way it hasn't been seen in over 20 years. I made my peace with it a long time ago.

I would still be sick to my stomach every time I think about that.

If I did Infact take it with me when I left home, it would have been destroyed in a tornado. If I left it my parents house, no doubt my mother threw it away. Either way it's gone. I still hope it is some where at my parents house. It would be nice to stumble on it some day. My parents down sized about 10 years ago. We all got fair warning to come get what we wanted. They went from a 3600 square ft house to an 1800 sq ft house. I acquired the thing in the 70's. I don't remember what I gave for it, but was less than a dollar. I remember my brother razzing me that I could have bought a new comic cheaper.

Latest posts