Barn camera

Help Support CattleToday:

Tbrake

Reaction score
Im waning to get a couple cameras to put in the calving barns. Getting tired of 2 or 3 night time checks. One barn is right at the house, 2-300 feet, the other is 3100 feet. Not sure if there is anything with that kind of range? Doesn't have to be anything fancy, just reliable. I have looked up old threads but the links were all out dated and no good. I don't need a monitor, I have both smart phone and an iPad. Any help would be much appreciated.

Not sure what the technology is but I know there is a wildlife camera that sends a pic to your cell phone and you can close a trap on hogs anywhere you have cell service

kenny thomas":1o40z0m2 said:
Not sure what the technology is but I know there is a wildlife camera that sends a pic to your cell phone and you can close a trap on hogs anywhere you have cell service

Guy that lives down the road works for the State WD has that.
He sets up hog traps in problem areas and doesn't trip the trap until he can get whole sounder.
If I remember right it was kind of pricey like 3k for the set up.

I have a few of the cellular trail cameras. I don't think they would work very well for this. I'm in a bad cell reception area, and they will be in a tin roof building. Also I don't want something that is motion activated, I would like to just have an app that I could log onto and see what is going on live. I may be dreaming, but this would sure make calving out heifers less stressful. Price is not a huge concern, I have enough head I can justify spending a little extra if needed

kenny thomas":f9puo4t2 said:
Keep looking, someone here from Canada has one, of course can't remember who
Seems like they raise Charolais.

kenny thomas":1nw3gara said:
Dubcharo is the one I was thinking of. Raises Charolais and keeps them inside 6 months a year.
Ding ding ding we have a winner!

That's who I was thinking of :nod:

ALACOWMAN":27yz1jlp said:
Probably find a good setup from a service station/convenince store that's going,or gone out of business...

I've seen clearer bigfoot footage than they usually have. Amazon/ebay have a lot of systems. I have some stationary 1080p cams and a ptz I can control from my phone. Takes a little big of network know-how to get everything setup, more than I can explain on here.

We bought a nanny cam from Lorex to put in MILs room at the nursing home. They have WIFI and we can stream. If you can get WIFI out there you can watch from anywhere.

Try checking with someone who has horses. They have pretty extensive barn/foaling stall cameras that could probably be used for cattle. That set up to catch the hogs in the traps sounds like it would work.
My poor cows just have to rough it. Calving on pasture, outside, no cameras, checked once or twice a day. But if I were into purebreds, and high dollar cattle, I would probably do it different. Nothing wrong with wanting to keep an eye on things.

Yes. Ours is IP based and I use an app to watch our camera. We can preset it for stall 1, 2,3, etc... but I have a full rotation.

It's a panasonic wv-sc384. 3 years old or so but new, it was $2500. Quick google search and I see it has went down in price, drastically.

This has held up in our cold winters and has good pic quality. I can really zoom in on calving and ensure feet are coming correctly or grab an ear tag before she gets moved to a stall.

Ours are wireless, rated to go up to 2 miles, With line of sight. Th receiver hooks up to a TV or computer screen, and this operates off a joystick.

http://www.allenleigh.ca/index.php?rout ... ation_id=9

This is the one we have, excellent for larger areas. For a smaller barn 10x might work better.
http://www.allenleigh.ca/index.php?rout ... duct_id=55

Also, just a note, this is a Canadian company and prices are in CDN dollars. I believe this camera translates to about $2300 USD. They have lots of options.

Latest posts