Barbaro's brother

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Does anyone know where on the net I can find some info on Barbaro's full brother? I think it was mentioned he is a yearling, I would like to know his name and if the farm has a web site so I can follow his progress as a 2 yr old.

Thanks,
Alan

Morning Edition, February 14, 2007 · Well, Valentine, who do we love in sports? Not many, really. I know every poet worth his salt has tried to define love, but in sports, mostly I think it's a matter of admiration. Do fans out there love Tiger Woods or Roger Federer? Rather, I think they love what they do.

But then, of course, there was Barbaro. All you had to do was go to his veterinary Web site and read the e-mail messages posted for him, and you knew, this was love:

"Barbaro, thank you for being such an inspiration. Be well, sweet boy. I love you."

Or this, from a woman and her dog:

"Sweet Pea, have a healing rest and stay nice and warm. Dream of nice sunshine on your back, and, of course, peppermints, apples and pears. Big kiss on your velvety nose and doggie smooches from Brady."

All sorts of psychologists and cynics have tried to explain why so many of us so loved an animal we never met. Never mind. For whatever reasons, we did. The memory of Barbaro might now be revived somewhat, too, for his full brother, a yearling, will probably debut at the races next year. Barbaro's dam is also carrying yet another full brother, who will be foaled in April.

Barbaro's owner, Gretchen Jackson, named the great horse after a foxhound in a painting. She plans to name the younger brothers after others of the foxhounds. Mrs. Jackson has been so wonderful, but gee, I wish she would find a more appropriate name to salute the daddy and mommy who produced such majesty.

Naming horses can be such a clever exercise, too, seeking to draw from both the sire and dam to get a meaningful name. The great Native Dancer, for best example, was by Polynesian, out of Geisha. Get it?

Here are some other favorites, suggested by Bob Curran at the Jockey Club and by Bill Nack, the magnificent racing writer. Listen carefully now:

By Deputy Minister, out of Misconduct: Impeachment

By The Axe, out of Top o' The Morning: Splitting Headache

By Ambernash, out of Chorus Call: Forever Kicking

Let's give Barbaro's kin something just as memorable. His sire is Dynaformer, his dam La Ville Rouge. So we have a lot to play with. On the paternal side: Dyna — power, as in dynamite. And former — either a reference to the past or to somebody who makes something. And on the maternal side, with La Ville Rouge, we have France, town and red. Nice if we could get some reference to the older brother's glory in there, too.

Here's my best efforts to name Barbaro's brothers: Formerly French, City Planner, Town With A Past.

I'm sure you can do better. Submit your suggestions for naming Barbaro's brothers. Names must be no more than 18 characters long — including spaces and apostrophes. I'll send the best along to Mrs. Jackson and reveal those choices here in a few weeks time.

And to those great lovers, Dynaformer and La Ville Rouge, Happy Valentine's Day.

lets see:

the big bang :lol: sorry, that one just popped to mind

red dynomite - would only work if horse is red or sorrel

need to think on this awhile, see what i can come up with.

Alan":30hxp80w said:
Does anyone know where on the net I can find some info on Barbaro's full brother? I think it was mentioned he is a yearling, I would like to know his name and if the farm has a web site so I can follow his progress as a 2 yr old.

Thanks,
Alan

He's at Mill Ridge Farm:

http://www.millridgefarm.com

Nicanor_small.jpg

Full brother as yearling

La%20Ville%20Rouge%2007b_small.jpg

07 foal

Nicanor????? Those Thoroughbred folks do some really unkind things to their horses when they name them. Regardless of his name, it will be interesting to watch him and see how he progresses. I won't ever view the racing industry the same after the loss of Barbaro.

DrumRunner728":avec62vr said:
I won't ever view the racing industry the same after the loss of Barbaro.
I felt the same way after "Ruffian"

peg4x4":3f0nt0oh said:
I felt the same way after "Ruffian"

We're showing our age on that one. I remember listening to that race on the radio in the car on my way to my Aunt's house. I was devastated. :(

I was in college at that time - I don't think I actually watched the race that day, but I remember that Ruffian had to be put down.

I sat and watched the entire episode unfold with Barbaro and knew immediately he had broken his leg. I cried for days. I haven't had anything affect me that way in a long, long time. I was angry that such a magnificent animal was lost and sad that I would never have the chance to see him race again.

Latest posts