Barbaro:((((

Help Support CattleToday:

TANGLES123

Reaction score
Barbaro euthanized; owner calls it "the right decision"

By DAN GELSTON, AP Sports Writer
January 29, 2007

KENNETT SQUARE, Pa. (AP) -- Kentucky Derby winner Barbaro was euthanized Monday after complications from his breakdown at the Preakness last May.

"We just reached a point where it was going to be difficult for him to go on without pain," co-owner Roy Jackson said. "It was the right decision, it was the right thing to do. We said all along if there was a situation where it would become more difficult for him then it would be time."

Yes it is verrrry sad but glad he is not in pain anymore. What a fighter he was to have held on for so long. There is talk that they may breed his parents again in hopes of another like him. I would go for cloning him. I have followed him thru his career and think he was one very special horse. Too bad his career ended the way it did.

i've read an artical that said that his dam is expecting his full brother come spring.

i know that they dont accept artifical insimmination (sp) for racing but i would have taking some sperm just so i'd had an offspring of such a great horse. the baby would still make a great hunter/jumper or pleasure horse and you'd have something to keep his line going.

i feel for his owners, i've just lost a great little mini mare saturday and its hard to lose one. (i do have both her mother and daughter so i still have something of her)

i had heard that they did take sperm from him to AI a mare to just have one of his babys . beyond the vets help and all that evey body did the biggest reason that horse made it to were he had on and off the track was the size of his heart . cause there really was no way he could have made it this far if he didnt really want to . i really feel for the owners of this horse i as well have just lost a very dear horse a little mini mare that had a very young foal at her side luckily the foal had the heart and will enough to want to live cause he is still holdin on at 6 months old. it was truly the right choice to have this horse put down and i feel barbaro's has and will continue to make a mark on history . and heck barbaro's has been like a teacher to those vets up there at penn state cause who knows how many other horses they may be able to save because of barbaro's accident

barbaro, why wouldn't they amputate early and use an prostedic device that way he would still be alive. About breeding him if he was freakishly fast and could snap a leg i don't think it was natual, but if it was that is not a trait i would want to keep going as more horses would suffer. secretairet had a heart 2/3 bigger than normal and thew it to only some of his foals but none were that much over sized.

I just heard the owner's on Larry King tonite and they said that Barbaro has one full brother on the ground and another full brother in his mom's tummy. I guess her was named after a picture that one of the owner's has and his brother will be named after another animal in the picture.

Latest posts