Banding/cutting yearlings

Help Support CattleToday:

Nrg

Reaction score
I recently acquired some cross bred yearling bulls, been on strictly forage. Approx 5-650lbs.
Ive heard of guys banding/cutting calves this big but have never done it. Pros cons? Any vaccine I need to give in conjunction? Thanks!

You can band or cut, it is best to give them a tetanus shot first . If banding something that big I like to use the Callicrate bander.

If they will fit thru the band, they get banded and a tetanus shot. Otherwise they get cut

We cut everything fomr 150 lbs to 2000 lbs. You might need an emasculator if they are truly 600 lbs. We put them in the squeeze chute and I tail pinch them while my husband cuts. Usually they are very cooperative for the procedure and sure look alot happier the next day then a banded calf. But if you feel more comfortable banding, as everyone else said it will work too.

If the animal is 2000lbs you cannot take the "bull" out of it by castrating, it is already a bull. It would have testosterone already through the meat and the tell tale hump on it's neck. No one in their right mind would mistake it for a steer .

I cannot answer the question of WHY you would cut a 2000# bull, all I know is some guy wanted it done and he was payin so it got done.

JSCATTLE":1ir4wqxo said:
I use my pocket knife on everything .. I tried the banding but I don't like it ...

My husband uses his pocket knife too. Silly me wanting to buy surgical blades at the vet store.

raykour":3sbayc20 said:
I cannot answer the question of WHY you would cut a 2000# bull, all I know is some guy wanted it done and he was payin so it got done.

He might have liked the bull and wanted it for an "Ox" ? It would be safer to work with than an intact male .

After they are over 100lb or so I knife cut everything also. Never done one 2000lb but if someone will hold its tail I would try. :lol:
Some studies I have read showed the knife cutting was actually easier on the calf

Nrg":1yh68mjm said:
I recently acquired some cross bred yearling bulls, been on strictly forage. Approx 5-650lbs.
Ive heard of guys banding/cutting calves this big but have never done it. Pros cons? Any vaccine I need to give in conjunction? Thanks!

Bands should be big enough, but sometimes you need both hands to get in on, and always warm bands up in cold weather.
Yearlings can get a little active in the chute, so always have someone to hold the tail up.

If you grab just above the base of the tail with your hand (palm side on the underside of the tail) and then turn your wrist 90 degrees pushing or pulling, depending on the situation/angle/comfort of the person the tail towards the head firmly, but not so hard you are in danger of causing injury to the tail. Still, the pressure has to be pretty hard. This pressure pinches the spine or a nerve and seems to distract the animal but when you are castrating one with a knife in addition to seeming the keep the soon to be steer still and less squirmy it also appears to have some epidural action because we have cut many with a proper tail pinch that have stood like champs. Maybe someone else has a better explanation. But you must grip at the base of the tail or near it and push the tail forward, NOT lower on the tail because then you can break the tail with the pressure.

raykour":3g2gjiwb said:
If you grab just above the base of the tail with your hand (palm side on the underside of the tail) and then turn your wrist 90 degrees pushing or pulling, depending on the situation/angle/comfort of the person the tail towards the head firmly, but not so hard you are in danger of causing injury to the tail. Still, the pressure has to be pretty hard. This pressure pinches the spine or a nerve and seems to distract the animal but when you are castrating one with a knife in addition to seeming the keep the soon to be steer still and less squirmy it also appears to have some epidural action because we have cut many with a proper tail pinch that have stood like champs. Maybe someone else has a better explanation. But you must grip at the base of the tail or near it and push the tail forward, NOT lower on the tail because then you can break the tail with the pressure.

Thanks so much for a great explanation! This is why I love this place. Learn something new and useful every day! And since we have some yearlings to castrate, this will be good to know. - I'm pretty sure that husband has finally decided that castrating early on is the better option. He's tired of fighting with the yearlings. :lol: