banding ? (curious)

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
When banding bull calves in the chute that are around 200 lbs. or bigger how many of you put something behind their back legs in case of the kick that sometimes happens?

tncattle":3r4i6auo said:
When banding bull calves in the chute that are around 200 lbs. or bigger how many of you put something behind their back legs in case of the kick that sometimes happens?
We just hold their tail straight up, not much kicking done that way

Dad usely pulls straight up on the tail, while i'm putting on the band, which makes it were they can't kick...but they can still jump...LOL

We did with our steer calves to prevent them from backing up in the chute, especially if they wouldn't go in the headgate.

For banding or even cutting in the chute though, the old hoist-the-tail-up trick is the best.

By myself, I take an old lead rope around his ankle and run it through a pipe waist high on the chute, and pick his foot up to his belly. I can take one wrap on the pipe and hold it while I band him through the access panel. Gets his leg out of the way and cant do much kicking with one leg.

If I got help I'll tail em.

The lead rope I have lost the metal snap, all thats left is a loop. Just run the the end through the loop. I wouldnt tie a knot, just something simple and easy to get undone.

Latest posts