Banders

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
What kind of banders are the best or are they all pretty much the same?

I like the four fingured ones and use the green cheerios...they get the band open enough to easily slip over the sack and position the band where you want it...DMc

Susie David":33s06ttt said:
I like the four fingured ones and use the green cheerios...they get the band open enough to easily slip over the sack and position the band where you want it...DMc

I have one of those and a tri bander from valley vet. The tri bander is easier because it opens bigger. I only wish it were constructed on steel or aluminum not plastic.

Scotty

Susie David":2hzztj1z said:
I agree. First bull calf I ever banded and had no problem with it.

Susie David":1sgf3fzb said:

That's what we use, also. Have never had a problem with it.

We use the green cherrios also. The problem we've had is that some of the calves, even a month or less old, are too fat/large to be able to get the scrotum into the band. Going to try the tri-bander next year.

dun

We used one that is big enought you can wait until the calf is weaned. I can't remember what it is called. It uses surgical tubing and a metal crimp. It worked great.

I think I saw someone talking about it on a thread a while back.

We cut about half our calves each year (my daughter loves calf frys). Everything else gets banded either with the little green bander or the big callicrate bander (the surgical rubber machine) If you have the room and tine to do it you can pick up those bigger bulls and make them steers with the big bander alittle extra pocket money :lol:

I use the four prong also. Maybe mine is just a different size but I have banded them up to 6 months old with very little problem. At that age they might not just fall in, but they will fit.

flaboy":2smmvgwz said:
I use the four prong also. Maybe mine is just a different size but I have banded them up to 6 months old with very little problem. At that age they might not just fall in, but they will fit.

Must be little nutted calves or your bander can stretch those little things a lot more then ours can. The cheerios bander we have only opens to 1.1X1.3 inches.

dun

dun":1hb9r3x3 said:
flaboy":1hb9r3x3 said:

Must be little nutted calves or your bander can stretch those little things a lot more then ours can. The cheerios bander we have only opens to 1.1X1.3 inches.

dun

That's what I was thinking Dun when I kept seeing people talk about problems getting the nuts in. I was thinking my poor little embarrassingly small nutted bulls can't go out into the world without being embarrassed. :lol: I mean after all just ask 1848, he will tell you I only buy from sale barns. I try to find the smallest balls I can so they will fit my bander. :lol: My bander easily opens 2x2. I haven't actually measured it but it opens that far at least. I can measure it if you like.

flaboy":25a4t8fd said:
dun":25a4t8fd said:
flaboy":25a4t8fd said:

dun

That's what I was thinking Dun when I kept seeing people talk about problems getting the nuts in. I was thinking my poor little embarrassingly small nutted bulls can't go out into the world without being embarrassed. :lol: I mean after all just ask 1848, he will tell you I only buy from sale barns. I try to find the smallest balls I can so they will fit my bander. :lol: My bander easily opens 2x2. I haven't actually measured it but it opens that far at least. I can measure it if you like.

I measured ours just to make sure, that's why I knew the exact size it opens.I have no idea what make it is since we've had it for some where around 35 years. Maybe I need to invest in something newer, but at least I can open this one all the way with just one arthritic old hand.

dun

Scotty":6c8fnu36 said:
Susie David":6c8fnu36 said:

I have one of those and a tri bander from valley vet. The tri bander is easier because it opens bigger. I only wish it were constructed on steel or aluminum not plastic.

Scotty

I noticed if you leave the tribander out in the sun the arms get soft from the heat and will twist and let the band slip off. I realized if you lay it in the shade in between calves and it works fine. It would be great if it were made out of aluminum.

dun":2gjbxl6s said:
flaboy":2gjbxl6s said:
dun":2gjbxl6s said:
flaboy":2gjbxl6s said:

dun

I measured ours just to make sure, that's why I knew the exact size it opens.I have no idea what make it is since we've had it for some where around 35 years. Maybe I need to invest in something newer, but at least I can open this one all the way with just one arthritic old hand.

dun
We cut some and band some. Like Flaboy, I was worried that we were having unusually small-nutted bull calves :shock: because I have occasionally used it on 4-5 month old calves. But ours definitely opens wider that 1.1 X1.3 inches. At that age/size I have to put the testicles down into the band one at a time, and sometimes it is pretty snug and they sort of pop down in there. Usually try not to use it if the calves are more than 250 pounds or so. Ours is aluminum, unsure of the brand.

Latest posts