Bander question

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Forthose that band, has anyone tried the tri-bander made by Wadsworth Manufacturing Inc.?

Thanks

dun

Yes, that is what I use. Got it from Valley Vet, along with the bands that fit it. I have only banded a handful of calves with it so far, but plan on using it for everything this year. The calves I have done so far were between 300 - 450 lbs. Worked well on all of them. Scrotum dried up and fell off at 40 days after banding.

yep, just got mine a few weeks back.... works great... easy to use too..

jt

Now to the real question, how large does it open up to? An inch to a side, 2 inches? Once again we had some fat sacked calves and ended up having to cut over half of them because the scrotum wouldn;t fit into the cheerio bander, these are 150-200 lb calves. Cutting wasn;t bad this year because the wether has turned back off cold and the flys have temporarily disappeared. I'm thinking towards next year

thanks

dun

dun":2la0m9pu said:
Now to the real question, how large does it open up to? An inch to a side, 2 inches? Once again we had some fat sacked calves and ended up having to cut over half of them because the scrotum wouldn;t fit into the cheerio bander, these are 150-200 lb calves. Cutting wasn;t bad this year because the wether has turned back off cold and the flys have temporarily disappeared. I'm thinking towards next year

thanks

dun

cant measure the opening right now, i dont have it with me, the package says it is good for up to about 400 #ers... i'm sure there are exceptions both ways on the weight..

i got mine from jeffers.... try this link
http://www.jefferslivestock.com

type in banders at the search box and it will give you some specs.

jt

Same problem as all of the other adds for it. Says it opens wider/bigger, but doesn;t so how big

dun":97htzwkq said:
Same problem as all of the other adds for it. Says it opens wider/bigger, but doesn;t so how big

if i can make myself remember... i will measure the opening of my bander tonight and let you know..

jt

I found the companys phone number and I'm going to give them a call

Thanks

dun

Golly Dun - I don't use a bander but I know the general size on the cherios thing that uses the green cherios and I don't think we've ever had a 150-200 lbr that had THAT large of a sack - maybe you should be selling bulls??

Yje answer is, 2 inches each side! Straight from the manufacturer.

sidney411":qzwr6kjm said:
Golly Dun - I don't use a bander but I know the general size on the cherios thing that uses the green cherios and I don't think we've ever had a 150-200 lbr that had THAT large of a sack - maybe you should be selling bulls??

Same bull we had the exact same situation with last year. We used 3 different Polled Hereford bulls with no problems with two of them. But KCF Bennet 517 H119 puts a sack on them plus it's fat.

dun

Never used that one. I use the Cheerio one. I figure I have to make sure I have two in so it's not a problem to push them in there if needed.

Now I going way back but we used to use rubber bands from the newspapers (back when they used bands on papers). We never even had a tool until about 10-15 years ago. BTW, we always band and never cut and have NEVER lost a calf. No shots ever given. Now we very seldom band unless someone wants a 4H steer. We sell at less than 400 pounds so, bull-steer it doesn't make any difference that we can tell.

tom4018":2pb39gyn said:
Dun, did you ever get one of the tribanders? If so do you like it?

Didn;t get it. Maybe next year. Had to knife the last one because he was a monochrid.

dun

Use a four finered bander...slip the stones down to the bottom and pop it on leaving a little sack to spare. We band at two weeks usually and not after two months...never had any trouble...dave mc

Latest posts