band or cut

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbruh

Reaction score
Is it better to band or cut your bull calves this time of the year. Just wondering how much the summertime heat or flies would be a factor in making that decision?

Been using a Burdizzo emasculator as my preferred castration tool for over 40 years. No bleed-outs, no fly problem. Think I've 'missed' one nut on maybe two animals in all that time - just had to clamp 'em again when it became evident that it wasn't shrinking.
Suppose I'd opt for banding - but be aware of the possibility of losing some to tetanus, if you've not administered a tetanus toxoid and booster prior to band application.

Banding is my preference. Occasionally I have to cut one and I put a band on after cutting.

These discussions generally go on and on in these threads. Been lots of debate over banding and cutting for the past several years here. Search history. You'll find there are people who are passionate about not banding and such. For me, it comes down to a personal preference. I like to catch the calves and band them within a few days of birth.

When I want to make steers I band as close to birth as I can. I have never had any issues with tetanus yet but I always calve in clean pastures.

We have done both. I personally prefer banding as it's quicker, simpler and cleaner. Catch the wrong sign of the moon and the little buggers seems to bleed real bad.

IMO cutting is somewhat more risky, but less stressful and recovery is quicker.
Banding takes a little more planning due to giving tetnus 2 weeks prior to banding. They also seem to be more sore and less vigorous for a week or so after banding and there is still the possibility of blood poisoning if a band breaks. I've heard some say swelling can build in the sack push blood up above the band, so some open up the sack when banding for that reason.
I prefer cutting, but I'm reluctant to cut big calf and will opt for banding big calves.

bigbruh":1k0j0olk said:
Is it better to band or cut your bull calves this time of the year. Just wondering how much the summertime heat or flies would be a factor in making that decision?

To me, it doesnt matter what time of year it is.. I band all mine. Now, on the other hand, my cousin cuts all his at weaning, so its just a personal preference.

I have done lots both ways. I prefer to cut. As to this time of the year. I try to plan so I cut them a little earlier. If for some reason I don't get it done early I generally wait until fall.

Jogeephus":11uw2ilf said:
Cut. When my dog swallows them I know 100% its a steer.

The dog might get some if I only have one or two to do. But one of the benefits to cutting is mountain oysters. So if I have a batch to do the dog loses out.

J&D Cattle":6jh74818 said:
We cut a month or so before weaning.
Same here....we band though and do so that the nuts are off before we sell....might do ours early this year because they are getting big....

Banded for years. That is what Dad and Granddad did. Have also clamped the cords, can not remember the proper term.
Now we knife cut. Quick, simple and done. Never had a problem with flies or bleeders.

sale barns around here like knife cut much better, shouldn.t bleed much if you pull them, then spray with screw worm spray. I give covexin 8 either at cutting or a week or so before

knife cut everything on a farm I worked for - probably cut 300 calves throughout the year - spring and fall calves - never had any issues

I bought a couple pairs last week. Both calves had been banded. Just looking at them I am pretty sure that one calf has at least one if not both nuts still in him. One of the down sides of banding. We get a lot of these at the sale. Buyers don't like them. Next time I get a chance to catch this calf I need to make sure he is a steer. It is a lot tougher to cut one that has already been banded because of the scar tissue.

Cut em, collect em, bread em, fry em, and enjoy em. Do yourself a favor and don't waste the tastiest cut of meat on the animal.

Latest posts