Baleage and Botulism

Help Support CattleToday:

turklilley

Reaction score
There was a mention of Botulism with baleage. Seveal years ago I lost 4 cows to botulism from baleage. I sent samples from the hay, it was tested negitive. I was told it comes from hay that has been rained on when wilted.
Does anyone know how this happens? Why are not all bales affected?
People did not want this for mulch hay or bedding.

Good post Cross-7 thanks for the link.
We've made square baleage for several years and have wrapped rounds for other farmers.
What it all comes down to is baling quality hay no matter how is always a bxtch being at the mercy of the weather ect.
Paying extra for preservatives and giving bales an extra wrap of plastic goes a long way in prevention.
But some guys want to limit $ spent on putting up hay and that's often the start of problems.

Do you have a botulism vaccine in the US? With our phosphorous deficient soils cattle can get a craving and will chew and suck on old bones and carcases and losses from botulism can be significant. We have a single dose vaccine, a toxoid I think that takes 3-4 wks for full protection but seems to give some degree of protection a lot sooner. An annual booster is required.
I believe I lost a good young cow from botulism last year from grazing around where I had chicken litter dumped. I vaccinated and had no more problems.

Ken

Ken,
I had a look to see if there was a botulism vaccine/toxoid available here - I'd never seen or considered using it, never knew anyone who had - or had seen enough botulism on a regular basis to recommend it to their clients.
I don't find a cattle-approved product... but didn't look extensively.
There is a product available in the USA, intended for use in horses... about $10/dose... initial series of 3 doses, with yearly booster.

I see cases of equine botulism almost yearly, but (so far) have only seen cases of bovine botulism every 10 years or so... but if the trend is moving toward more baleage production... I'll bet I see it more frequently. As I indicated earlier, every outbreak of botulism I've ever seen in cattle was associated with feeding haylage/baleage.

Lucky_P":34eoow56 said:
Ken,
I had a look to see if there was a botulism vaccine/toxoid available here - I'd never seen or considered using it, never knew anyone who had - or had seen enough botulism on a regular basis to recommend it to their clients.
I don't find a cattle-approved product... but didn't look extensively.
There is a product available in the USA, intended for use in horses... about $10/dose... initial series of 3 doses, with yearly booster.

I see cases of equine botulism almost yearly, but (so far) have only seen cases of bovine botulism every 10 years or so... but if the trend is moving toward more baleage production... I'll bet I see it more frequently. As I indicated earlier, every outbreak of botulism I've ever seen in cattle was associated with feeding haylage/baleage.

Thanks Lucky. Yeh as I said here it is mostly associated with phosphorous deficiency and scrounging bones. It must be reasonably significant for Zoetus to have just brought out a new single dose vaccine for it, Longrange.
https://www.zoetis.com.au/product-class ... ccine.aspx

I think the vaccine would be used fairly widely where problems had been seen in the past and the single dose would be handy on extensive runs where there is just an annual muster for marking calves. Around where I am the local farm store does keep it in stock and it services farms up to about 3000 acres. I was actually surprised when I did find it in the fridge there so seems to be a demand.

Ken

Have had baleage here for 25yrs+ now, made in all sorts of forms and fashions - from the rankest stuff to the best. Never had issue with it.

And I'd say the majority of folks have had similar experiences... but when it goes bad, it goes really bad.
Last big outbreak I worked with... producer lost about 60 yearling bulls and heifers.

Along that same line... probably millions of 5-6cwt bulls have been banded with no tetanus prophylaxis and done fine... but I've seen some real trainwrecks with producers losing 15-20 or more banded bulls at one swell foop.

Ok, dumb newbie question here. Is there a danger to humans working with baleage that has C. botulinum? I would think so....

Latest posts