Bakers Northside

Help Support CattleToday:

Yeah not ideal was more interested in his frame . I got some smaller framed cows that I wanting to fix

He will definitely make them bigger based on what I have seen in terms of progeny. Running out of bulls that do that well currently.

He will definitely make them bigger based on what I have seen in terms of progeny. Running out of bulls that do that well currently.
Seems like semen companies are buying 6 frame and under. I was looking at SydGen Gavel too because I've heard he's a true 7.

Gavel is a true 7, saw him last November. I am using gavel on smaller framed or smaller numbered cattle, Stealth on cattle that are the correct size for us. Both bulls (Gavel & Stealth) will have more backside imo than northside.

Do you have calves out of gavel yet ? Saw his bw bumped up

no just using him for the first time next month. only calves i know of are some late winter calves at sydgen, plus whatever calved this fall in places. bw doesnt scare me on him even elevated like it is. it might mean those big growth numbers could be real. i will use gavel on both heifers and cows, but i use black diamond on heifers still without problems. i dont trust the dna on things like bw..

Entice has been on my short list of bulls to use for awhile now. Used enhance last year so i didnt use him then, dont have room for him this year either. Might be an enhance son with alittle more muscle shape and growth. Enhance is a sire that should add frame to smaller cows, i dont know about entice.

I'm about 45 minutes north of Hoover and I went down and saw him couple weeks ago. I will be using him this spring . Used enhance when he was a yearlying and he was only $20 bucks then following year new picture with a new price lol. Was honestly thinking about using both entice and enhance

hoover has lots of bulls worth using. currently feeding a top notch steer out that we bought from a neighbor..
I bred my heifers to top notch. I'm kinda excited to see how they turn out. Should have some middle to end of February. I like they use their bulls they have few calves out of bulls they don't own

Don't settle on a bull for ONE trait. There are lots
I agree but when trying to fix a frame issue by using a 7 frame bull there isn't many choices out there. Plenty of bulls to fix what he lacks. In my sire evaluation searches I can't seem to find very many bigger bulls . I know epds aren't perfect but it would make it a heck of a lot easier if everyone would publish frame scores vs off an epd

I agree but when trying to fix a frame issue by using a 7 frame bull there isn't many choices out there. Plenty of bulls to fix what he lacks. In my sire evaluation searches I can't seem to find very many bigger bulls . I know epds aren't perfect but it would make it a heck of a lot easier if everyone would publish frame scores vs off an epd
Tour of Duty is a 6.5

I'm sorry, but Angus is the king of AI bulls. There is no excuse to use a bull for ONE trait knowing he has traits you don't like. You don't breed to one bull knowing you will have to breed his daughters to another bull to fix the first bulls unwanted traits!
If there aren't any "current" bulls that are framey enough, use a true blue proven OLD bull.
@jscunn - surely you know some bulls to put frame on with all the other traits to make a good calf.

I'm sorry, but Angus is the king of AI bulls. There is no excuse to use a bull for ONE trait knowing he has traits you don't like. You don't breed to one bull knowing you will have to breed his daughters to another bull to fix the first bulls unwanted traits!
If there aren't any "current" bulls that are framey enough, use a true blue proven OLD bull.
@jscunn - surely you know some bulls to put frame on with all the other traits to make a good calf.
Never said I was going to use him but I am interested. For me I was looking for a big framed calving ease bull, good growth , good carcass and a good scrotal epd. He checks all of that so for me he would do a lot more than add frame.

I Searched his epd profile on sire evaluation only 3 other bulls are similar which 2 are available at stud.
For his lack of rear end I have cows/ heifers with plenty and if he took some off of them they would still be adequate.

Latest posts