Bahiagrass??

Help Support CattleToday:

dodgetruks

Reaction score
I have been hearing some people around our area (central texas) saying that they are gonna bale their bahiagrass this year. Does that make good hay as far as nutrition for the cows?

dodgetruks":3q0tykx3 said:
I have been hearing some people around our area (central texas) saying that they are gonna bale their bahiagrass this year. Does that make good hay as far as nutrition for the cows?

It's not my favorite but sure beats a snowball! Seriously, I have tried to test my hay each cutting and have had some Bahia come out better than bermuda, some worse. It depends if it is fertilized properly and cut early enough.
But it never has that "bright" look and clean "smell" of other varieties.
Usually has a high ADF. Especially in late Summer, and Fall.
Will work though.

Nutritive value of hay:

Crude Protein - TDN - Acid Detergent Fiber
Bahiagrass 8.3 % - 50.0 % - 44.2 %
Bermudagrass 10.7 - 54.4 - 40.4
Mixed Grass 9.3 - 50.7 - 43.1
-
Larry A. Redmon
Texas Cooperative Extension scs-2001-12

I always thought ADF was an estimate of heat damage.
So if that is correct, the amount ADF is non-nutritional forage. Which would make it mold, must or dust. Or otherwise of no value.
Anyone help me out here? Its been a long time since ruminate nutrition 101 in college.

Boy, we'd be lucky to get anywhere close to 10+% protein on the coaslal baled around here. Seems like the past few years the hay cutters are more interested in making more bales than quality ones.

Muratic":39f6rhum said:
I always thought ADF was an estimate of heat damage.
So if that is correct, the amount ADF is non-nutritional forage. Which would make it mold, must or dust. Or otherwise of no value.
Anyone help me out here? Its been a long time since ruminate nutrition 101 in college.
ADF includes cellulose, lignin, insoluble crude protein, and acid-insoluble ash. The higher the ADF the lower the digestibility.
In the posted figures, TDN plus ADF makes up more than 90% of the dry matter.

Dusty-It does little or nothing as far as nutrition. The less ADF and more TDN, the better.

The last time we had coastal checked it ran 13%. We no longer have coastal fields and do Bahia only now. Most of our fields have other assorted grasses in there also but the main is Bahia. We never tested it. All I know is, put a bale out and all you will see is backsides.

dodgetruks":1x3vsba6 said:

If it's tall enough to cut, the cows seem more inclined to eat it as hay than trying to nip the tough growth from the ground. If our cattle don't hit it early and keep it short then it might as well be baled.

Latest posts