bahia grass

Help Support CattleToday:

I have pastures with common bermuda, jiggs bermuda, and bahia, all on the same soil type. Bahia is greener and more prolific in the drought conditions we continue to have. Jiggs come in second place and the common bermuda last. My personal thought that is is we don't start getting back into more normal rain patterns, the more common train of thought will be "what grass can handle these drought conditions and give me at least some feed value". Seems like bahia does better than the others. That may not be true in comparing to the other bermudas like tifton 85 etc...

jsm":1bcfh2hx said:
I have pastures with common bermuda, jiggs bermuda, and bahia, all on the same soil type. Bahia is greener and more prolific in the drought conditions we continue to have. Jiggs come in second place and the common bermuda last. My personal thought that is is we don't start getting back into more normal rain patterns, the more common train of thought will be "what grass can handle these drought conditions and give me at least some feed value". Seems like bahia does better than the others. That may not be true in comparing to the other bermudas like tifton 85 etc...

Here coastal and tifton will stay greener and grow longer in a drought than bahia. May be the soil type. The bahia will recover faster though.

I have planted it all at one time or another doesn't matter Bahia is King in East Texas unless you want to spend a fortune to fight it. Learned a long time ago life is much easier to work with mother nature than try and fight her.

Caustic Burno":3dq19zgi said:
I have planted it all at one time or another doesn't matter Bahia is King in East Texas unless you want to spend a fortune to fight it. Learned a long time ago life is much easier to work with mother nature than try and fight her.

Aint that the truth, its a poor man bermuda. Mine just seems to get thicker the more its cut.

B&M Farms":2rp33idk said:
jsm":2rp33idk said:

Here coastal and tifton will stay greener and grow longer in a drought than bahia. May be the soil type. The bahia will recover faster though.

Same here. We have coastal right next to some bahia up the country. Its a sandy type soil and the bahia will be burned up while the coastal still nice and green. We have slowly brought in coastal little by little. The bahia has been knocked back so bad the coastal is taking over quickly. I am perfectly fine with that.

I don't like Bahia for hay. It's hard to cut and it's hard to bale. IMO, it does't belong in the hay barn. It's great in the pasture for grazing - just not good as hay.

90% of the pasture in East Texas is Bahia. Some start out as "coastal hay fields" but in that area bahia will takeover the field. A bit harder to cut and bale but folks have learned to do it and do it well. Good enough that all the dairies there feed it year round. Fertilized and cut on time it will be just about as good as coastal. Just makes an ugly a$$ roll. :lol2:

lavacarancher":7jkiiq4o said:
I don't like Bahia for hay. It's hard to cut and it's hard to bale. IMO, it does't belong in the hay barn. It's great in the pasture for grazing - just not good as hay.

Well you had better stay in that part of the state then, cause over here it is King.
It's like hog's you have it or gettin it so you might as well embrace it.

Latest posts