Bad time for a deep freezer

Help Support CattleToday:

pricefarm

Reaction score
Sure is a bad time to have a deep freezer go bad ! Mine went out with around 300 lbs of beef in it. Only freezers you can find are the little ones around 5 cubic feet. Is it the same every where or just around here ?

It's been that way around here since the 'Rona mess started. I was talking to our local mom & pop furniture /appliance folks recently. They said if they could get 10 freezers a week they could sell them.

Freezers are as scarce as hens teeth. None of the local appliance stores have any around here. Those little 5 cu ft ones are all over the place like in walmart. Saw an ad for a 15 cu ft one in the local bargain trader.....$975.00....ouch....I've got my eye out to get another as soon as they start coming back in stock... Just for "in case"...

Sure is a bad time to have a deep freezer go bad ! Mine went out with around 300 lbs of beef in it. Only freezers you can find are the little ones around 5 cubic feet. Is it the same every where or just around here ?
You might check into installing a hot start capacitor. Sometimes that fixes them. Chest or up right.

I would call Lowes or Home Depot too. They are getting some in slowly. My partner's wife found one about an hour from her by just calling around. It had come in that morning and she snatched it up immediately,

This place had a sign today that they had them in stock. Might be worth

It's a chest freezer. The compressor runs non stop. It must be low on gas.
If it is low on gas, that is an easy fix. I would add some stop leak and then some refrigerant. So you know what type of refrigerant it uses?

That would be strange for a compressor, I wonder how they got it in to begin with? :unsure:
They cut the line to remove the crimped end. Then they hook up the freon to both high and low side and charge to the recommended amount then crimp th ends of the tube and solder it shut.

I think there is an extra tube on the compressor used for initial fill. Then it is crimped/welded shut. I think you have to install a piercing valve around a tube to add refrigerant post factory.

Noticed that Hurley just posted pretty much the same.

They cut the line to remove the crimped end. Then they hook up the freon to both high and low side and charge to the recommended amount then crimp th ends of the tube and solder it shut.
Yep just looked at it and that's how it's done.

It's a chest freezer. The compressor runs non stop. It must be low on gas.
Looks like you can get an adapter to install on the compressor line to install Freon in the freezer system. New problem could be where did the Freon go. A black light should locate and you might not be able to fix.

Latest posts