Bad shot!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
I hardly never make a guess shot,but early sunday morning I was setting in the deer blind and saw this nice 14 point set of horns and head sticking out beyond big old white oak tree.The trees and brush we're so thick I could not see a bit of the body.Since he was looking straight at me I figured he would break and run any second.So I put the crosshair of the ol 308 right where I figured his heart would be and fired.
The head dissappeared.Waited around 5 minutes and went to see.
I discovered I made a clean shot into another white oak which was about a foot thick.
Maybe I need a bigger caliber,ya think?

Cal

Calman":109izc2r said:
I hardly never make a guess shot,but early sunday morning I was setting in the deer blind and saw this nice 14 point set of horns and head sticking out beyond big old white oak tree.The trees and brush we're so thick I could not see a bit of the body.Since he was looking straight at me I figured he would break and run any second.So I put the crosshair of the ol 308 right where I figured his heart would be and fired.
I discovered I made a clean shot into another white oak which was about a foot thick.

Cal
How about a better scope and some glasses? :lol:

Isomade":2uypr31e said:
Calman":2uypr31e said:

Cal
How about a better scope and some glasses? :lol:
Now that might help also. :nod:

Cal

The good news is that you didn't try to shoot him between the eyes. My buddy(ex Vietnam Sniper) did that back in 1972 on a 180 class Mulie. He shot him dead square between the eyes and i watched his horns cross at the shot. We might as well have been shed hunting for all the good that rack did anyone! :lol2:

A few years ago my hunting partner shot a nice whitetail buck up in the northeast corner of the state. It had a fully mushroomed 30 caliber bullet just barely under the skin on its shoulder. We figured someone had shot through a smallish tree and the bullet just had enough velocity left to get through the skin before it stopped. He has the horns hanging on the wall in his living room. The other guy, whoever it was, could take the tree home and hang it on his wall.

You could see the head. Maybe that is what you should have aimed at. Just a thought.

Dave":24wzuudg said:
A few years ago my hunting partner shot a nice whitetail buck up in the northeast corner of the state. It had a fully mushroomed 30 caliber bullet just barely under the skin on its shoulder. We figured someone had shot through a smallish tree and the bullet just had enough velocity left to get through the skin before it stopped. He has the horns hanging on the wall in his living room. The other guy, whoever it was, could take the tree home and hang it on his wall.

You could see the head. Maybe that is what you should have aimed at. Just a thought.
A head shot would have got him for sure,but I just could not bring myself to messing up a rack like his.
I don't even shoot a buck unless it's a better wall hanger than I already have or it's a spike.
I am not a believer in shooting young deer,be a buck or doe.

Cal

3waycross":qvztugdg said:
The good news is that you didn't try to shoot him between the eyes. My buddy(ex Vietnam Sniper) did that back in 1972 on a 180 class Mulie. He shot him dead square between the eyes and i watched his horns cross at the shot. We might as well have been shed hunting for all the good that rack did anyone! :lol2:

I did the same thing once over at my grandad's place. Those old smart bucks don't give you much. There's a reason they grow old. I could see the ears and most of the horn. That was about it. He wasn't coming out. Took the shot and watched the horns collapse.

I have a deer mounted that I shot in the back of his head but literally came out his eye and it caused the taxidermist grief in mounting it you can see where it messed the cape up and he fixed it pretty well can post pics if anyone wants them. He told me aim for the neck next time its easier to sew.

Calman":1e1lc16u said:
Dave":1e1lc16u said:

A head shot would have got him for sure,but I just could not bring myself to messing up a rack like his.
I don't even shoot a buck unless it's a better wall hanger than I already have or it's a spike.
I am not a believer in shooting young deer,be a buck or doe.

Cal
Big horns look nice but I have noticed over the years that they make mighty tough soup.

Latest posts