"Bad" Batch of feed

Help Support CattleToday:

CWT Angus

Reaction score
Hi All-
I have been feeding a "complete show feed" product from an independent feed store in my area for about 6 months. Cost- wise it is much more reasonable than a big name show feed/grower. After comparing labels extensively & speaking with other locals who use this brand of feed I decided to give it a shot. I have been buying it by the ton in bags while we put the grain bin together.

Here is my situation. I just picked up a second ton (out of about 4) that is poorly & inconsistantly mixed as well as absolutely infested with mice. There are holes in some of the bags in the middle of the pallet as big as a basketball. Obviously I will not be feeding it, but now we also have a whole mouse population to irradicate in my barn.

This soooo ticks me off! I drive 45 minutes each way to patronize this store and now I have to complain AGAIN that this batch is unacceptable also ( this is the same problem we had a couple of batches ago). Has anyone else has trouble getting quality products from smaller/independent feed manufacturers?

I'm thinking that since they deliver feed on a regular basis they need to get this mouse infested junk out of my barn & deliver me a new load. Or they can kiss my business goodbye. Am I out of line?

Sorry for ranting..... but did I mention that I'm really peeved?

After the first time there shouldn;t have been a second. If they don;t want your business enough to sell a consitant product I wouldn;t be going back. If they;re that careless with the mixing how careless may they be with the actual ingredients?

What discussion have you had with your supplier and what has been their response? I agree that the feed quality you described is unacceptable but all business have issues, IMO it is how they respond to the situation that determines if they get the privledge of your biz again. I think it is fair for you to let them know of you expectations of quality and service, if they are a reputable biz they will honestly let you know if they can meet them or not. May save lots of headaches and frustration on future transactions.

Jeff

The first questions are for you…
Is it worth the $h!t you have to deal with for the price difference?
How much is your time worth?
Do they act like they want your business?

Form the sounds of this post you're done with them.

I know my time is worth money. I ordered 3 semi trucks of salt that should have been in 2000 lbs sacks. It was all in 50 lbs bags (same product same quality). I called the company that I bought it form and asked what I ordered because it did not match the invoice I signed. They would not pay me by the hour to open and dump bags so I told them I didn't want any of it. I did not pay a cent for there mess up; but it did cost me about 3 hours of my time between making the order, dealing with there screw up, calling my bank, and making an order with a new company. They would not understand that it cost me my time so I got the shorter end of it all and I don't use them any more because of that.

Yes, I am pretty much done with this dealer. Now it is just a matter of getting this junk picked up & getting my money back. My time spent dealing with this definitely worth another few bucks a bag.

To mess with me is one thing, to mess with my critters is another..........

Thanks for the input.

Only way you'd think mice could infest feed is if the dealer is not moving enough of it. There's no excuse for poor "housekeeping" in a feed mill or feed store. If they have any ethics at all, they will replace the contaminated feed with fresh stuff. I can only imagine if we sold anyone any feed that was like you descibed, word would get out faster than fire.

Crowderfarms":1iwd8e58 said:
Only way you'd think mice could infest feed is if the dealer is not moving enough of it. There's no excuse for poor "housekeeping" in a feed mill or feed store. If they have any ethics at all, they will replace the contaminated feed with fresh stuff. I can only imagine if we sold anyone any feed that was like you descibed, word would get out faster than fire.

I know how long this feed has been sitting there- about 60 days, I have some in my barn made about a week before that & it looks great. This is an independent place that has its own mill rather than a distributor of something made elsewhere. My concern is that if they stuff available for sale is infested, I suspect the ingredients they are using may be in the same condition.

No excuse for this type of product from a feed store. I would keep a good attitude, however they would do the right thing or they would never see me again.

My local feed store keeps rat-bait out all the time and the cats patrolling the premises. I've never seen a rat there.

Latest posts