Background check

Help Support CattleToday:

Illinois has had a FOID card; Firearm Owners Identification card for ever. It's run by the state police. I am required to show mine any time I purchase ammunition. Now FFLs are required to see it before they can let you handle a firearm you may be interested in purchasing. I can see where it would take some getting used to. It's a pain, but I've always had to do it so I don't really even think about. My foid stays in my wallet right next to my driver's license.

Georgia went Constitutional carry last year. You can still get a carry permit if you want to. I will renew mine, because of reciprocity with other states and I buy a loy of guns. If you have the carry permit you don't have to do the federal background check.

Ga never had a CC permit..it was just a permit period, that allowed you to carry open or concealed. In the early 90's we passed the " Squeegie Law", that said your vehicle is the same as your house, and you can carry a loaded firearm in it. You don't have to tell LE (I presume you are talking about a traffic stop? ?) that you have a gun in your car or anywhere else.

I was reading the comment section on a IG post the other day and it got me to thinking about something that had never occurred to me when buying a gun. On the permit to buy a a gun section 11e ask if you are a Marijuana or other illegal drug user. I can't remember the exact language they use but they do ask. What would happen if they ever started inforcing this? With the amount of people using Marijuana legally or illegally these days this could cause a huge problem for people. I did a quick search and found out that the law is rarely if ever inforced but, what if it was?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been asked to show my Oregon drivers license when buying pistol ammo. Just flash the license at them. They are making sure I am not from California. I am just about as far from California as you can get in Oregon. I don't think many people will make a 10-12 hour drive to buy a single box of 9mm.

Why ? Did the druggies find a use for that?
I have no idea! Tractor Supply bought Orscheln Farm & Home and I went twice to score on inventory close-out deals. Got to the register, they had just switched to the TS platform, and it wouldn't ring up without my birth date. I can still buy them at Walmart without entering my DOB.

I have never seen the benefit of a CC. Especially now with open carry, if I feel the need to carry, I can do it. Plus, I never liked how they mark you and you have to say that you have a firearm in your vehicle when they make contact with you.
It used to be beneficial. At least in Kansas, if you had a CC, they didn't have to do a background check if you purchased a new gun because all your info was already in "the system" (part of the Brady Act, KS was exempt). But now? Probably pointless and I didn't renew my CC last year.