Back Rubber

Help Support CattleToday:

LimoX

Reaction score
I know this has been posted on here before , but how often do you guys recharge your back rubbers?

In the dry, hot of the year, about once a week. It's not empty by then but it will take a large enough amount that it's woth it. I the wet of the year when the flies are bad, I try to do it after every rain. Mine does not have a cover over it. I know it's a lot but my bulls fight to stand under it and rub for an hour or so. Bulls are funny that way.

I've always used ear tags. Actually I used to use spray when I had fewer cattle. Are the back rubbers that much more cost effective than ear tags?

dcara":2xj9ltpd said:
I've always used ear tags. Actually I used to use spray when I had fewer cattle. Are the back rubbers that much more cost effective than ear tags?
Since realistacly you have to change the tags at least once and maybe twice during the year, it sure seems cheaper to me to use a the rub, or in our case a mop

Have not run comparison numbers but it cost about $60 year or so if you add in the diesel. It's less to do in the head gate. I did not believe it but was told that if you put it up, they will come.... they did.

The flys are bad right now and have been charging every two weeks. Seem like myn bull and calves have figured it out but my cows just don't seem to use it. I have it leading in to a mineral lick (one side that is) they just would rather avoid it so i have been spraying the cows every other week also. Anyways thanks for the info!

dcara":14g7k2me said:
We use both but don't replace the tags according to the manufacturer's suggestion. We dump a couple lbs/head of feed 2 or 3 times a week to keep cattle coming into the working pens. Makes it easier to check on them and they don't associate the pen as a reason to get ignorant. They must go under the backrub to get in and back out. We also keep mineral with IGR available. All combined, they help but we also occasionally do a belly spray if needed.

Latest posts