Average Age Of Farmers

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
Average ages of farmers by occupation

Chicago Tribune

By The Associated Press

The average age of farm operators by farm type, according to the 2002 U.S. Census of Agriculture.

Oilseed and grain farming: 54.6

Vegetable and melon farming: 53.9

Fruit and tree nut farming: 57.7

Greenhouse, nursery and floriculture: 53.8

Tobacco farming: 54.7

Cotton farming: 52.4

Sugarcane, hay and all other crops: 57.5

Beef cattle ranching and farming: 56.7

Cattle feedlots: 53.3

Dairy cattle and milk production: 50.2

Hog and pig farming: 49.2

Poultry and egg production: 51.6

Sheep and goat farming: 52.9

Aquaculture and other animal production: 52.5

dun":3lw7mede said:
So farmers are a bunch of young welps according to that

All it takes is one old coot like you to raise the average 10-15 years. :lol:

MikeC":1j0takjp said:
dun":1j0takjp said:

All it takes is one old coot like you to raise they average 10-15 years. :lol:

Hey!!!!

I resemble that remark - be kind to those with grey hair please.

Bez>

Bez>":1tehelo3 said:
MikeC":1tehelo3 said:
dun":1tehelo3 said:

Hey!!!!

Bez>
I'm right in there with you Bez. I remember "Ike" as President. :lol:

I thought everyone remembered Ike and the bit of uniform apparel he contributed

We had a president named Ike?
Oh, you mean Mr. Dwight. I would like to thank all of you shriveled up prunes for all the wisdom and knowledge that you are passing on to us gords on this board. I have learned alot in the time that I have been reading here, but I have accepted the fact that it will be a lifelong learning curve, for me anyway.
Thanks again, Trey
(just joshin about the prunes thing)

Bez>":3pdka4dk said:
MikeC":3pdka4dk said:
dun":3pdka4dk said:

Hey!!!!

Bez>

I am jealous you still got hair? Lost that years ago hat is Personel Protective Equipment.

the farmers will continue to get older.because the young pups cant afford to jump into farning.an add to it most farmers dont quit until they die.

Bez>":b88e8v3a said:
MikeC":b88e8v3a said:
dun":b88e8v3a said:

Hey!!!!

Bez>

HAIR??? what s that, does it need rain to grow,,,maybe thats why mine is all gone.

C HOLLAND":1t2uvmxk said:
Bez>":1t2uvmxk said:
MikeC":1t2uvmxk said:
dun":1t2uvmxk said:

Hey!!!!

Bez>

HAIR??? what s that, does it need rain to grow,,,maybe thats why mine is all gone.

Yup - still got some - but it is sort of pushing back from the front of my head. And it is rather silver in colour.

Bez>

Bez>":1a2uvc0s said:
C HOLLAND":1a2uvc0s said:
Bez>":1a2uvc0s said:
MikeC":1a2uvc0s said:
dun":1a2uvc0s said:

Hey!!!!

Bez>

Yup - still got some - but it is sort of pushing back from the front of my head. And it is rather silver in colour.

Bez>

Do like I do, make up for the hair on top receding by growing a face full. :lol:

the farmers will continue to get older.because the young pups cant afford to jump into farning.an add to it most farmers dont quit until they die.

I have thought about this alot, especially when I make trips to the sale barn and look around the room to see many folks in their 60's, 70's, and even 80's, but very, very few in their 20's and 30's (me). In my opinion, it's not just the money aspect that is keeping my generation out of cattle farming, although that is a major obstacle, but a combination of things. I think it is a combination of the money, societies general view of rural agriculture, opportunity, and most importantly, the amount of work involved to make a living in the cattle industry. I would say the majority of the younger generation raising cows, also have a full time job, so it's like working a full day, at your 1st job, then coming home to your part time (cattle) job, except on your days off from your 1st job, then you work your part time (cattle) job full time. When you are sleeping at night, or day, then it's like having a job where you are on call.

In short, it's alot of work and you have to really love it to do it.
Trey

Caustic Burno":ol26qzkw said:
Bez>":ol26qzkw said:
MikeC":ol26qzkw said:
dun":ol26qzkw said:

Hey!!!!

Bez>

I am jealous you still got hair? Lost that years ago hat is Personel Protective Equipment.

Caustic, I'm with you on that. I don't use shampoo on my head; mop n glo is much better. :lol:

Trey,
I'm right there with you. I wasn't able to jump into ranching until I turned 32. I've always wanted to do it, just couldn't afford it. Most of my family spent most of their lives working on other peoples land and learned a lot. My grandfather managed a dairy farm and my uncle farms about 10,000 acres, but never for themselves. I finally convinced a friend of mine to invest with me and found an 86 year old man that was willing to sell me a small piece of land (28 acres). I've worked out a plan and this is just the start. I'd like to eventually own at least 1,000 acres. I'm one of those that works 40+ hours a week and then drive for 40 minutes to go check on my cattle and work until the sun goes down. I will do this until my body or God doesn't let me.

ERodrig":3gvx1wxy said:
Trey,
I'm right there with you. I wasn't able to jump into ranching until I turned 32. I've always wanted to do it, just couldn't afford it. Most of my family spent most of their lives working on other peoples land and learned a lot. My grandfather managed a dairy farm and my uncle farms about 10,000 acres, but never for themselves. I finally convinced a friend of mine to invest with me and found an 86 year old man that was willing to sell me a small piece of land (28 acres). I've worked out a plan and this is just the start. I'd like to eventually own at least 1,000 acres. I'm one of those that works 40+ hours a week and then drive for 40 minutes to go check on my cattle and work until the sun goes down. I will do this until my body or God doesn't let me.

Wheeew! I'm glad i'm not the only one! I've always noticed the work doesn't seem near as bad at the end of the day,when the work's done, and your watching the sun go down and it's cooling off, walking with the cows while they are grazing while the calves are running and bouncing and chasing each other.
That is my favorite time with them, it makes it all worth while.
Trey

Bez>":3d8yejnw said:
C HOLLAND":3d8yejnw said:
Bez>":3d8yejnw said:
MikeC":3d8yejnw said:
dun":3d8yejnw said:

Hey!!!!

Bez>

Yup - still got some -
  • but it is sort of pushing back from the front of my head
. And it is rather silver in colour.

Bez>
your hairline, is making a beeline, for your behind

ALACOWMAN":2b0xu1x8 said:
your hairline, is making a beeline, for your behind

My dad always claimed it was handy that way. You could wash your face, your head and the back of your neck with one pass of the wash cloth

Latest posts