Australian

Help Support CattleToday:

Dylan Biggs

Reaction score
Are you getting wet where you are?
I hear there is some severe flooding going on, though I think it is father north, if I recall your location directly.

I think they said in the Rock Hampton area.

The water might be heading your way though.

Australian is about a 40 minute drive south of me. Our area has been pretty good. Just a bit of short lived local flooding over the odd bridge cutting a few roads off for a few days. Further north of us in Western Queensland is where they have really copped it with about 12 towns evacuated and under water. Millions of dollars of crops ruined. Billions of dollars worth of damage to infrastructure.
Check out the pictures:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/gallery-e6frer9f-1225979450055?page=1

Andrew

Today was our worse day for rain. Had almost 4 inches. Was cut off from civilization for about 4 hours. Our main bridge had about 2 metres of water over it. A few bulls got mixed up in the wrong paddock when they went to swim the creek and ended up downstream in the wrong paddock. Some cows and calves swam the raging creek to get to me to see if I had any hay. The flodding has been mainly around the Darling Downs 200 ks to our north and around Rockhampton about 900 ks to our north. Parts of our state have been flooded over the past months and it continues way out west in the flat country. It will take weeks and weeks for the waters to drain into the southern ocean. Some of the Queensland waters will drain into lake Eyre which is in the top end of South Australia. It is usually a dry salt lake that is actually below sea level. It currently has milions up on millions of birds in it now, Pelicans and Sea Gulls (about 1,000 miles from the sea) This will be about its third big fill in the past 18months. It could have another burst after this one, should any cyclones come across from the gulf of Carpentaria in the next three months or so. ( cyclone season).
More rain is predicted for us.

There is an area of Queensland under water at the moment that is larger than the combined size of France and Germany, which puts the scale of the floods into perspective. Everything is so wet now that even smaller falls put a lot of country even higher in the catchment at risk of going under. The extent of the new system of rainfall over the next couple of days will be critical for a number of areas that weren't previously too badly affected, as well as those that have already been under or have not yet subsided.

Glad to hear you fellows are not drowned, the major disaster up north is going inflict considerable hardship on a lot of folks and livestock. What a mess!
Stay safe!

Thank you for the updates.

Latest posts