Aurochs

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch said:
Please document.

Perhaps we are arguing about Semantics here. So let me try to clear that up.

"First Domesticated Cattle" = Middle Eastern Aurochs domesticated about 10,000 years ago.
Current Domestic European Cattle(British More so than Continental) are a mixture of domesticated cattle brought up by Neolithic farmers, these early farmers crossed their cows with local Auroch bulls to increase their numbers(Research: Neolithic Farmers in Britain Crossed Domestic Cattle with Aurochs)

Only a few Middle Eastern Aurochs were domesticated(80 Aurochs cows), likely a strain that was more manageable by early Farmers.

European Aurochs were never domesticated as only Auroch bulls were crossed with domesticated cows(No maternal European Auroch mitochondrial DNA has been found on modern European cattle)

So saying that European Aurochs were domesticated and became what is today European cattle is really not the case, but saying that Aurochs in general are not the ancestors of modern European cattle is misleading.

Did I miss anything?

gaurus said:
Son of Butch said:
Please document.

Perhaps we are arguing about Semantics here. So let me try to clear that up.

"First Domesticated Cattle" = Middle Eastern Aurochs domesticated about 10,000 years ago.
Current Domestic European Cattle(British More so than Continental) are a mixture of domesticated cattle brought up by Neolithic farmers, these early farmers crossed their cows with local Auroch bulls to increase their numbers(Research: Neolithic Farmers in Britain Crossed Domestic Cattle with Aurochs)

Only a few Middle Eastern Aurochs were domesticated(80 Aurochs cows), likely a strain that was more manageable by early Farmers.

European Aurochs were never domesticated as only Auroch bulls were crossed with domesticated cows(No maternal European Auroch mitochondrial DNA has been found on modern European cattle)

So saying that European Aurochs were domesticated and became what is today European cattle is really not the case, but saying that Aurochs in general are not the ancestors of modern European cattle is misleading.

Did I miss anything?

Gaurus, is there any connection between your User name and the extant wild gaur?

Bright Raven said:
Gaurus, is there any connection between your User name and the extant wild gaur?

Yes, the massive wild forest ox, Bos Gaurus.

Look at this massive back.

358125972_ae8600c793_z.jpg

35299099-familia-de-gaur-los-toros-m%C3%A1s-grandes-del-mundo.jpg

Bos-gaurus.jpg

gaurus said:
Bright Raven said:

Yes, the massive wild forest ox, Bos Gaurus.

Look at this massive back.

358125972_ae8600c793_z.jpg

35299099-familia-de-gaur-los-toros-m%C3%A1s-grandes-del-mundo.jpg

Bos-gaurus.jpg

Very cool. I like that Username. Do you have any pictures of a Banteng?

Bright Raven said:
Very cool. I like that Username. Do you have any pictures of a Banteng?
No, but I found many searching in google :cboy:

Bright Raven said:
Yes. They are not as impressive as a Gaur. Where did you get those if you don't mind saying?
Google, I was doing some research on cattle domestication around the world.

gaurus said:
Bright Raven said:
Yes. They are not as impressive as a Gaur. Where did you get those if you don't mind saying?

I am not intruding, I thought those might be mounts from the Smithsonian.

gaurus said:
Bright Raven said:
An interesting article for you, I had one from the National Geographic covering the excavations in Tanzania where evidence of a separate domestication of the ancestors of the Sanga breeds, but have lost the link, it might be interesting to relocate this one as well - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1208036/pdf/ge14631071.pdf

Someone asked about Banteng? I have a friend who travels the world and I always enjoy his photography, his commentary and his wild escapades.

I share a photo here, taken on one of his visits to Indonesia.

Latest posts