August weather 2014

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
Post pictures of your August weather so far...normal or not

Here is NE Texas August 2nd at 9am...

70 degrees cloudy....jacket and gloves but i still got cold......i'm at the base of my dam office where its a jungle AND there is water coming out of the over flow pipe several days after its rained....i can say with confidence i will not be pumping water this year....Yay...

You beat me to it cowgirl8. The last several days have been anything but July weather but today

takes the prize.

:nod:

Could really get used to this.

It's been non stop mowing the lawn. Normally, this time of year I'm watching it not grow, but I've mowed regularly since spring.

Been a great summer here thus far. Got rain when we needed it without an over abundance any time and enough dry days in between rain to get work done. Did have a LOT of rain in late May early June but not a terrible mess, and I sure don't miss the drought. Cattle are happy and fat, not pushing on fences or eyeing grass beyond their fence.
Other than that, it's Texas, summer--it's been hot but it's SUPPOSED to be hot.

(yeah, I have to mow the lawn about every 6 days this year too--beats dragging the hoses and sprinklers out tho.)

On a average year i mow our yards every 4 days. I've raised my blade to almost 4 inches to keep from leaving giant globs of cuttings... I'm obsessed with mowing, so this is a good thing....in fact, i need to run to town and get gas. Next mower will be a diesel, i'd never run out of fuel since we have a big storage tank full of it..

Dry as a pop corn fart here , last good rain we had was Oct. of 2013 , few showers of 1/2 inch since last Oct, but does not help grass grow, or put water in tanks, grass all grazed down and burned up, very discouraging , seems like we have been a drought since 1995 when it started, one or two wet years in between but the big majority of years have been drought. 2 cutting of hay off 20 acres coastal produced 39 bales total, the first cutting was mostly winter grass from rain last Oct.

Good summer so far; nothing stands out as extreme. We've had rain, but not too much. Just about the time we thinks it's getting a little dry, it will rain. A couple of weeks ago, it drizzle rained for about two days giving over an inch. I'd say every drop of that was put to good use.

We've had some hot days, but they don't last over a few days at a time. It actually got down in the 50s for a night time temperature in July. I just hope it continues.

Its been cooler than normal here. Still hot and muggy but not as hot as usual. Global warming I'm sure.

Our local radio station gives the previous months weather stats on the first day of the month. They said the low temp recorded this July was 48 and the high was 93. Said it was the coolest July on record since record keeping began in 1880 something. We had just shy of 13 inches of rain, about 7 inches above average. 93 has also been our high temp for the year. We have only ran the A/C 2 or 3 days in the past 3 weeks. We open the windows at night and turn on the attic fan. It's on a thermostat to shut off at 65 but we still wake up freezing. I cannot remember waking up and rushing to shut windows in July because it was too cold. Humidity has been very tolerable this year with only a few days being uncomfortable. I could get accustomed to this real easy. Right now we have low humidity, a nice breeze, and 81 degrees. I could work all day in this, but just stopped short to have a beer and sit in the old metal lawn chairs.

Given the fact that the weather stations now have much more asphalt, concrete and buildings around them from when they were first put in place one might wonder if the fella that predicted a second ice age was correct ...... but we all know global warming is indisputable and we all need to pay the carbon tax and the methane tax if not for us but for our children and their children.

Hot as he// here today. I changed 4 implement tires by hand. tire knocker and pry bars. Then the well pump motor burnt up . called everywhere and all the well people no one had a motor. I went to dollar store and got 5 gal bottled water to get me they till Monday. Then paw in law called and had a motor he thought might work I put it all together and its working. And I'm still hot as he//'

Blame it the moon. That makes at least 3 of us. I wasted 3 hours getting a flat fixed on a tractor this morning. At least I had nice weather. Almost enjoyed it

OK, I'll join you guys.. Rake had both tires flat last night when I wanted to use it.. a plug in one fixed it, and the other is just a really slow leak I can't be bothered to fix.., however, our Ford County had a flat too, nothing in the tire, new tires and tubes about 5 years ago, no wear, no cuts.. figure a shoddy installation job with a fold in the tube or something... when it cools a little I'll attempt to take it off and fix it.. I'm not paying the suckers $100 to screw it up again.

Oh, the weather? fugging hot and mucky.. 31-32C (89F) at 10 PM... a lot of smoke in the air is making my nose keep plugging up. Just feel sticky all the time.. the only way I'm comfortable is when I'm on the bike cruising around

Flats come in 3s, like plane crashes and deaths.
The sun finally came out and reminded us its August. Our high today is forecast 88...I'll take that.

It was beginning to get a little dry here, but today we're having some soaking rains. That's been the cycle here this summer.

herofan":3hsvwzyp said:
It was beginning to get a little dry here, but today we're having some soaking rains. That's been the cycle here this summer.
Same here and suppose to be around 102 by 4pm....Farther west up to 107. Makes me want to visit Minnesota. Maybe Angie and Misty have shaved by now. :mrgreen:

Latest posts