ATV's

Help Support CattleToday:

Bructer

Reaction score
How many of you farm/ranch with an ATV? I just purchased a new 4 wheeler because it has power steering which is great for my bad shoulder and wrist.

Here is a pic:

DSC01786.jpg

Cheers,

Hello Bructer,
the yamerjamer is a nice 4 wheeler. I had a big bear for years til it got old and tierd, and I put it out to pasture. I bought a new Polaris, but it didn't last a year on the farm so I bought an Artic Cat. Two years later it is holding up fine. I am very demanding on my equipment and it has to hold up, or it don't stay. I use it to fence with. I built a rack on the back to string two wires at a time, and the front rack holds my fencing tools, staples, clips, ect, and the gun rack holds the wire stretcher. I pull everything from a 2X3 dump trailer to a 4X12 utility trailer. It even pulls my lincoln 200 amp portable welder to weld corner posts. One trailer hauls 100 gallons of fuel out to the dozzer, and another one hauls a generator, air compresor and pneumatic t-post driver. The only thing that I don't use it for is feeding the cows, so when I ride out, the cows don't chase me down looking for a handout, in fact they ignore me. To me it is a very valuebal tool. Of course it is 4-wheel drive and works great if it is muddy, and this week it has worked great in the snow.
It also worked well the time some dummy (me) left the gate open, and I had to drive to cows back in. However looking back, if I used it to feed, they would have followd (or chased) me back in.
I thought at one time that I wanted a gator, or mule, but some of my land is very wooded, and the 4 wheeler gets in tighter places. I also have a couple of canyons, creeks, or gunions, whatever you want to call them an I feel better if I can leen away from the bottom.
Anyway Im sorry I am so long winded, but it is 5:00 in the am, and I have not been able to sleep and you are the only company that I have, so good night, or good morning, or whatever it is.
Enjoy your new toy,
Mac

I have had one for a dozen years now. Cows have been chased on it once, and they were penned and shipped. It is good for hauling wire, pulling brush to piles and such, but it is not used on cattle.

I have a Suzuki 300 4WD.
I have used it to pull trailers, fix-build fence, herd cows, skid things, check cows, check fences, but most of all it sure saves alot of walking.
For me it's a must have tool.

I've got an old Kodiak, somewhere between 10,000 and 11,000 miles on it now. Really haven't done much to it. My next one will be another yamaha.

cfpinz

We've got our second Honda. The first one was stolen out of the barn. We keep this one locked up in a shed. It's not a fancy one, but is worth it's weight in gold. We feed the cows off it in winter and they'll come to it and follow it like they do the pickup. It's also handy to spray brush. Do you all have any problems getting your insurance companys to insure them as farm equipment?

ve had atvs for over 25yrs.both 3 an 4 wheelers.an i wouldnt be without 1 on the place.

We have 2 here, a 1987 Suzuki 250 2WD, and a 2000 Honda 250 2WD. We use them for work and play. Have a small 3x3 trailer for them that we put any supplies in, like wire, tools, dirt, anything we need. Also have a small mower made to pull behind the 4 wheeler to mow around the house, since we have a lack of funds for a tractor right now.

we have a 2000 yamaha beartracker 250 2 wd and love it. Its small enough for the kids and big enough for checkin fences, pullin trailer and doin different chores, course I'm just a wanna be. jp

jp":2akr3z8b said:
we have a 2000 yamaha beartracker 250 2 wd and love it. Its small enough for the kids and big enough for checkin fences, pullin trailer and doin different chores, course I'm just a wanna be. jp

wanna be? uno that term is made up by 'already there's' cause they feel threatened. :)

We have a 500 suzuki 4x4 and a suzuki 250zx (my son). I couldnt imagine life without a quad, my son races them too. I've pulled stuff with mine I shoulda used the tractor for.It has been a good'n. I'm hoping santa leaves one of those arctic cat truck things when he passes by this year. I've been good. :secret: We also have dirt bikes(ktm) and a motocross track here on the farm if anyone's interested.

Last year I bought the Yamaha Rhino 660 side by side to work and play. I felt it lacked power so I installed a 786cc bigbore kit and changed the clutch, jets and piped it. With a few tools in the back I can lify the front tires off the ground. My wife has all but abandoned he Can-Am 400 and rides the Rhino exclusively.

Here is a couple pics:

CVBructer.jpg

Picture035.jpg

Cheers,

Bructer,
I've used one on the farm since 1991. They're good for rounding up cattle, building or repairing fence and Oh yeah for breaking legs. Don't ask me how I know. :lol:

We have a Hinda 300 2x4 that comes in handy. We park out by the cows and if something comes up, it is easy to get on and get then job done. It doesn't beat a horse for long gathers, but to go check, haul mineral, and bring one in, it's pretty darn conveinent.

For years my husband has said he ought to buy me a 4-wheeler and I've always resisted - don't need to spend the money & walking is good for me.
Well, my nephew always comes out for Thanksgiving weekend & hunts here. Last year, he brought a quad, was planning on coming back in two weeks to hunt with blackpowder so he left it - blizzard hit - he didn't come & left the quad here & told us to use it. Well --- we've had it all year (came with 100 miles on it, now has about 450). He was due to come again & was taking it home sooooo I found a used one & bought it!! 04 Polaris. Can't farm without one now. Can't believe how much it helps & how often we use it - farm & fun!!!.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":33bwh3gg said:
For years my husband has said he ought to buy me a 4-wheeler and I've always resisted - don't need to spend the money & walking is good for me.
Well, my nephew always comes out for Thanksgiving weekend & hunts here. Last year, he brought a quad, was planning on coming back in two weeks to hunt with blackpowder so he left it - blizzard hit - he didn't come & left the quad here & told us to use it. Well --- we've had it all year (came with 100 miles on it, now has about 450). He was due to come again & was taking it home sooooo I found a used one & bought it!! 04 Polaris. Can't farm without one now. Can't believe how much it helps & how often we use it - farm & fun!!!.

Don't ever let him leave a Kawasaki Mule (or comparible item) out there or you will be having to buy one of those also :lol:

I like the Mule or in my case the Ranger because you can just slide right out and get the gate and it hauls more things. But the 4-Wheelers are more fun to play with though.

I only have 2 problems with ATVs other then the utility ones. Can't swing my leg over it and not near enough space to carry a load. Just like a horse except you don;t have to feed it when it isn;t working.

dun

dun":30rkm6zl said:
I only have 2 problems with ATVs other then the utility ones. Can't swing my leg over it and not near enough space to carry a load. Just like a horse except you don;t have to feed it when it isn;t working.

dun

Yea I am getting to old and fat to be getting off 7 to 8 times opening and closing gates just to go put out some mineral. The Mule types are just a smooth slide out and back in. Just like on the Golf Course.

Saw a guy the other day that had one of those cube feeders (grain) like people have in back of Flat bed trucks that was sized and fitted to his Mule. Pretty neat set up if you feed grain. Just pulled up to the troughs and let it rip.

I bought a 04 Polaris 400 4x4 a couple of years ago, still going strong. I pull a pickup bed trailer and a small manure spreader with it. Manure spreader handles 3 to 4 large wheel barrow loads of horse manure which I spread on the pastures. Couldn't live without it. The only knock I have is if I go to fast with the spreader going it starts raining horse apples... wear a hat :D .

Alan

Alan":1q7h6t39 said:
I bought a 04 Polaris 400 4x4 a couple of years ago, still going strong. I pull a pickup bed trailer and a small manure spreader with it. Manure spreader handles 3 to 4 large wheel barrow loads of horse manure which I spread on the pastures. Couldn't live without it. The only knock I have is if I go to fast with the spreader going it starts raining horse apples... wear a hat :D .

Alan

I tried pulling my manure spreader with the mule. Could barely budge it. But it holds 5 scoops from the loader bucket. The Ranger pickup handles it easily though

dun

dun":1jdjd1q1 said:

dun

Yep. Me too.

Latest posts