ATV

Help Support CattleToday:

The CEO

Reaction score
What's your favorite brand of ATVs (four wheelers)? I use Arctic Cat's and love them. I have a 2007 500, a 1999 400 and will be getting to more 2008 500's soon. Use them for herding cattle, checking fence and just plain joyriding. :D

What about you?

The best one I have owned was the susuki King Quad. I have a automatic yamaha now. Automatic takes some getting used but is more women friendly. The wife just coudnt grasp the concept of why she shouldnt take off in 3rd or 4th or 5th gear :shock: .

denoginnizer":2zq6wmzf said:
The best one I have owned was the susuki King Quad. I have a automatic yamaha now. Automatic takes some getting used but is more women friendly. The wife just coudnt grasp the concept of why she shouldnt take off in 3rd or 4th or 5th gear :shock: .

Precisely why our "newer" one is an automatic!

Best one I've owned was a Yamaha Kodiak 400, gave up the ghost around 11k miles. Bought an 02 Grizzly a few months back, it's okay but too big and noisey, wish I'd have bought a 450.

We have 2 four wheelers one is a 1999 polaris with no breaks and we jsut got an 08 off brand onf honda i think thats what off brand of honda or yamaha its not as big but its 4x4 and was half under half the price of a new one with the brnad name on it. :)

Angus/Brangus":1rkkjbq2 said:
Use a Kawasaki 400 Prairie 4x4. Like everthing about it except the rear brake drums.

Got the same thing, 2002 or 2003, can't remember. About 6k miles on it. Pretty good. Rolled it once and didn't fly apart, so a pretty tough machine. Lots of pep. Like the automatic. Also not a fan of the rear drums, will take them off this summer, probably need new pads.

We have a 2002 Honda Foreman 4X4. Its served us well. Back in 2006 it was in a tornado which destroyed our house and it was tossed about 60 yards. It was on its tires when i found it right after the tornado went through and I turned the key and it started right up. Other than a few plastic rivets out it was still in great condition. I figured if it can make it through a tornado then it can handle anything i throw at it and so far it has.

I bought a 2002 honda forman when new. Now it has 4,000 and some miles on it and runs like it did when I first bought it. I use it for just about everything possible. Just like a small jeep. Also have had it sunk in quiksand on the Brazo's all the way up to the handlebars. If I haden't had a winch I could have never got it out. Scraped the mud off it and it started right up. In my book it's one tuff machine and has no drive belts to slip when in a hard pull.

Cal

Have and '04 Artic Cat 650d V-Twin and just bought an '08 Artic Cat Thundercat 1000

Just my thoughts.
I can't see any reason I would need a bigger engine than my 450 forman. Maby more weight or better traction. It when put in 4wd and first gear will move anything it's heavy enough to move. It has never lacked power. Pulled a wrangler jeep stuck in the mud out with it and had 4 good size men setting on the 4wheeler with me 2 on the front and 2 on the back. Never bogged down.
But also with the right gear ratio and enough traction you could move a house with an eight horse riding lawn mower.

Cal

I have a Polaris Sportsman 6x6. What a piece of junk. It is broke more than it runs. I wish someone else would make a 6x6. The 4x4 just won't climb the hills with all the fence tools.
hmmm maybe thats why its always broke?

After all the fussing I've done about our 660 being too big I finally found some use for it. We've got this old shorthorn cow that refuses to pen with the rest of the cows, she caught me in the wrong mood the other day. Old huzzy could outrun our old 400 5spd, not so with this newer one. She'll be on the next trailer leaving.

cfpinz":16zm4iiy said:
After all the fussing I've done about our 660 being too big I finally found some use for it. We've got this old shorthorn cow that refuses to pen with the rest of the cows, she caught me in the wrong mood the other day. Old huzzy could outrun our old 400 5spd, not so with this newer one. She'll be on the next trailer leaving.
Surprising your wife can push that bigger one faster the the smaller one.