Assuming....

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
the size of one's brain is directly proportional to one's intelligence then I would think this article explains a lot. And one might even deduce that you folks in the meat and dairy industry really aren't the bad people some eco-radicals make you out to be. Also, I think, that one might also deduce due to their small brain size these anti-meat and anti-dairy folks just don't get it - and probably never will. Ya'll keep up the good work cause I really can't afford any more brain shrinkage - or any other shrinkage for that matter.

Of course all these assumptions are made under the assumption the folks at Oxford know what they are talking about.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/booster ... -wits.html

Since we only have the LA Times summary, we don't know what this study really indicates. But, hey, it favors my side of the meat vs. vegan fight, so I love it!
This gets forwarded to my environMental friend, who forwards all those studies showing that all of modern ag is very, very bad.

john250":3h6agw2q said:
Since we only have the LA Times summary, we don't know what this study really indicates. But, hey, it favors my side of the meat vs. vegan fight, so I love it!
This gets forwarded to my environMental friend, who forwards all those studies showing that all of modern ag is very, very bad.

I googled it after hearing about the study on the radio today. Lots of hits. Are you sure your friend will be able to understand this? I mean with a shrunk brain and all. ;-)

Jogeephus":3qwhvk31 said:
john250":3qwhvk31 said:

I googled it after hearing about the study on the radio today. Lots of hits. Are you sure your friend will be able to understand this? I mean with a shrunk brain and all. ;-)

Brief history.
My environMental friend fell for the di-Hydrogen monoxide spoof. You are familiar with the dangerous di-Hydrogen monoxide? http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html
So, she is sincere but she is unquestioning about the fact that "something" is killing her. Her sister has M.S., and that is a factor. She has trouble figuring that out. As any of us would have that "why her" reaction. I have a friend with early stage Parkinson's, and I can't see anything he did that I didn't also do. We've been friends since kindergarten.
The trouble is, this gal is not rare. Her grip on reality is slipping. She wants an organic, natural world where bad things don't happen to people you love. Don't we all?

I work for a man who has(had) another fella that worked for him also. He was a health food nut and would wake up early in the morning and run 5 miles every day. When I gobbled down fried chicken he ate from the salad bar. He was lean and in perfect health and never embibed in strong drink which I can't really say I have done without. About six months ago he returned from the doctor with a clean bill of health. Two days later he fell over and died of a massive heart attack. It was sad. He was younger than me. But when your number is called there is nothing you can do about it. I don't fear death. I'm not wanting to go anytime soon but I'm not going to cower in my boots trying to hide from it. Besides, I think it will be a neat experience and maybe I'll get to learn some of the secrets of the universe. Or maybe I'll just come back as a curr dog. Either way, I'll make the best of it. :nod:

Most of my people live a long life. But, we have been hard working farmers. Lots of exercise.
Sadly, the grandparent I most resemble is the one with the shortest life. Heck, I want to enjoy the days I have without worrying about the absolute fact that I will die at some point. If ribeye steak or a glass of milk kills me...heck, I'm no candidate for world's oldest man. I just try to get comfortable with reality.

Well said. Personally I'd prefer to die before I'm stuck in some home where I can't take of my own personal matters and I surely don't want to give a hospital or nursing home everything I have worked so hard for all these years. My intent is to give it to my children.

Jogeephus":11r4qgbj said:
Well said. Personally I'd prefer to die before I'm stuck in some home where I can't take of my own personal matters and I surely don't want to give a hospital or nursing home everything I have worked so hard for all these years. My intent is to give it to my children.

Yeah, me too.
Why have so many people come to expect that they have a right to live happily ever after? I blame Disney. It might be Democrats, or Republicans, or Madden 15. But I blame Disney, because of "Bambi".
Hugely popular, but a really dumb movie.

Yeah I was the kid sitting in the theater yelling "Got her!" when Bambis mom was shot.
The looks I got later from the other parents and kids. :lol2: :lol2:
I had to explain to my dad, who was in an R-rated movie in another room, why I was getting so many nasty looks. Heck he did nick name me "Killer" for a reason. :nod: :lol2:

john250":2q43f6id said:
Most of my people live a long life. But, we have been hard working farmers. Lots of exercise.
Sadly, the grandparent I most resemble is the one with the shortest life. Heck, I want to enjoy the days I have without worrying about the absolute fact that I will die at some point. If ribeye steak or a glass of milk kills me...heck, I'm no candidate for world's oldest man. I just try to get comfortable with reality.

Good thinking, good post .

Larry

john250":bznot9md said:

Speaking of getting comfortable with reality. Guy who told me this joke had lost his wife about a week before my Dad died, and then he told this to me at the funeral home. We both were in the right frame of mind to see the upside of this story.

A man married a woman and as fate would have it she died about a year later. The woman's mother is on her way to the funeral when she gets to the outskirts of town and has a terrible car wreck. Since she only had the one child, his wife, the man immediately went to the hospital to she about his mother-in-law. When he arrived he was met by the Doctor who informed him it had been a horrendous wreck, but he did have some news. Some of the news was bad and some of it good.

First the bad news. The Mother-in-law was a very healthy lady so she was able to survive the terrible injuries inflicted in the wreck, but the injuries were so bad she was basically going to be a vegetable for the rest of her life, which could be 10 or 15 years. She had no insurance so she would have to live with the Son-in-law. She would be unable to feed or dress herself and he would have to minister to her bathroom needs as well.

As the son-in law stood there trying to absorb all of this and how his life had just experienced a dramatic change, the Doctor asked if he was ready for the good news.

Questioning within himself how there could be any good news after what he'd just heard, the man asked sarcastically what the good news was.

The Doctor replied, She really died at the scene of the wreck.

(If anyone reading this isn't in the same place either mentally or emotionally that I was and is offended, then I offer my apology.)

I certainly want a long life, like everyone else, I guess. Both my parents have Dementia and that's scary. I would like to remain on this planet while I still can think and make my own decisions. But then I figure that if I lose my mind, I will be one of those folks in the nursing home not remembering my manners and it will be the perfect time to get into all the trouble I missed getting into during my younger years. I plan on being "one of those patients".

I can respect that Lammie, but I'd prefer to be 85 years old and still cutting hay and tending the cows like my neighbor Mr. B. He is strong as an ox, deaf as a post and happy as a lark. I enjoy being around him but do feel a little uncomfortable yelling at him but he is just too tight to maintain his batteries for his mechanical ears as he calls them. :nod:

I would like to die in my sleep like Grampa. Not yelling and screaming like the other passengers in his car.

Jogeephus":y0tjmnex said:
I can respect that Lammie, but I'd prefer to be 85 years old and still cutting hay and tending the cows like my neighbor Mr. B. He is strong as an ox, deaf as a post and happy as a lark. I enjoy being around him but do feel a little uncomfortable yelling at him but he is just too tight to maintain his batteries for his mechanical ears as he calls them. :nod:

My dad is 75 years old and in good health. He gets mad if I cut hay without him... :clap:

Health issues arose when mom and dad were in their 60's. Mom made it to 78 and dad to 87. At the age of 93, my dad's brother was raking hay for me. He just turned 96 a few weeks ago, doesn't rake for me anymore since a neighbor and I formed a partnership on some hay equipment, but is in pretty good health. Grannysoo, if my dad were still around, he would still have to be their to make sure I was doing it right. Cause you know "It's to green". ;-) :lol:

Lammie":fg5l21o0 said:
I would like to die in my sleep like Grampa. Not yelling and screaming like the other passengers in his car.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: My mom was in Italy some years ago travelling by bus through some pretty scary twists and turns when the driver suggested that if the passengers were tense with the turns that they close their eyes like he did. :shock:

Grannysoo, I'm glad your dad is still around. Good source of advice and information. I think my mom will outlive me. She is as tough as nails. A few years ago I got concerned cause I couldn't reach her on her 72nd birthday. She called me that night and apologized for not being there but she had given herself a SKYDIVING Lesson for her B'day and didn't want me to be concerned. :shock: :lol2:

i seen a ol' man must have been in his 80's, laying on his side still making his own garden. i had rather be thrown by my horse, are ran over by a bull. than have somebody wipe'in my ass in a nursing home ;-)

Latest posts