Asparagus ideas needed

Help Support CattleToday:

Mo - I make an asparagus quiche which is always nice (shout if you would like recipe) and then a very simple meal on toast - all you do is steam them, pop them on toast and pour a welsh rarebit (lots of cheese & mustard) mix over them. Thats about as far as I go with asparagus :D .

Yes, please post, the quiche would be a win-win since we have an over-abundance of eggs, too. Funny how things are so similar all over the world. One of the ways we use asparagus already is in a cream sauce on toast. I have a recipe somewhere for welsh rarebit, I'll have to give that a try.

Here we go Mo-
1 pie shell
1 cup chopped asparagus
8 whole asparagus spears(garnish)
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 cup bacon/ham
1 onion
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper
1 cup cheddar
1/4 cup feta
2 eggs
3/4 cup cream/milk
1/4 cup chopped parsley
salt,pepper & mustard

Partially bake pie shell in oven for abt 7mins
Boil asparagus and allow to cool
Fry bacon/ham, onion, bell pepper & mushrooms in a little olive oil
Add chopped asparagus & 1/2 the parsley with fried bacon mix and pour into pie shell
Add cheddar & feta on top of that
Whisk cream, eggs, salt, pepper, parsley & mustard and pour over mix
Place the 8 asparagus spears on top like a spoke wheel
Sprinkle with paprika and bake for abt 3/4hr at 350'

Enjoy!! :D

Trim the tough ends. put it in a gallon ziplock and pour in some olive oil. Toss is a bit and put it out on a roasting pan. Sprinkle some sea salt on it and bake it till done. Shouldn't take long. You won't want to eat it any other way after that. works on the grill outside also if you don't let it fall thru the grates.

On the grill, for sure! (I'm guessing the weather in MO is warm enough for firing up the grill.) I like nothing better than a steak, baked potato or hashbrown casserole, and grilled asparagus and mushrooms.

We steam ours and either drizzle some butter on it or marinate it in a bag with italian dressing. We just like the taste of it and dont' want to detract from it.

About 500g asparagus spears
2 egg yolks
2 teaspoons lemon juice
100g butter (unsalted, if possible
1 tablespoon water
salt & pepper to taste

Wash the asparagus spears thoroughly, to make sure any grit has been removed from the flower head at the top.
Hold the spear with one end in each hand. Bend the spear gently until it breaks. This removes the woody end. (Can be used in stocks or soups).
Meanwhile, put an inch of water into a saucepan and bring to the boil. Simmer gently. Put a small mixing bowl on top of the saucepan. The bowl should be big enough to seal the edges of the pan, but without its base touching the boiling water.
Put the egg yolks, water and half the lemon juice into the bowl. Whisk until the egg yolks start to thicken.
Add the butter, a little at a time. Whisk well each time.
The sauce will gradually continue to thicken. then add the remaining lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Arrange the asparagus spears on individual plates and drizzle the sauce over the top.

It's delicious with baby spuds and pork chops ;).

I'm deep frying some tonight, so we'll see how that goes. My cuz (and favorite side-kick) has been after me for a while to fry some for her, and they're gonna be here for dinner.

Latest posts