Asanemia?...Ketosis

Help Support CattleToday:

funky 4-Her

Reaction score
Does asanemia (sp) cause a cow to produce less milk?? It has something to do with the liver, they don't eat as good when they have it and their breath smells diferent.

I don't know what you're talking about, but there's a metabolic disorder called ketosis that causes them to go off feed, milk production drops, breath smells sweet, they're in a negative energy balance and can easily drop 200 pounds in 48 hours. Then there's something called fatty liver, and it and ketosis are often seen together in fresh cows.

:oops: Ok, maybe ketosis is the correct name for it, my dad always calls it Asanemia. He drenches with Glycol for it anyways... I think only the fresh cows get it.

funky 4-Her":3crd27c4 said:
:oops: Ok, maybe ketosis is the correct name for it, my dad always calls it Asanemia. He drenches with Glycol for it anyways... I think only the fresh cows get it.

Proplyene glycol, dexamethasone, and dextrose are all treatments for ketotic cows... we're probably talking about the same thing. Never heard it called asanemia; standard term is ketosis, and it's sometimes called hypoglycemia in the vet textbooks.

To answer your original question, yes it does cause decreased milk production and can kill a cow. Other odd symptoms of it are stumbling, poor coordination, eating rocks/dirt... sometimes it appears neurological, other times it can mimic hardware disease. Depends on the cow.

Other odd symptoms of it are stumbling, poor coordination, eating rocks/dirt... sometimes it appears neurological, other times it can mimic hardware disease. Depends on the cow.

Yeah, thats if they get it really bad... my dad has another name for that lol. It also effects the smell/taste of the milk right?

Not sure if it affects the taste, I don't make a habit of drinking milk from ketotic cows. LOL But there is a powder Keto-check, that'll turn purple if exposed to a cow's milk that is keto positive.

When we were still milking cows the milk from the ketotic cows went in the tank with the rest of the milk. :oops: I think the vet used the keto-check stuff one time to check a cow because he can't smell the difference in their breath when they have it. Nervous Asanemia is what my dad calls it when they get realy bad and "stupid".

This can also be a feed balance. Protein to high. glucose drained. Poor quality silage. vitimin or minerals. Ketosis is a problem with jersey breeds. More so than other breeds. Jersey, Jersey x holstein can have this problem easy.I use jersey or jerseyxholstien for calf raising. I have found Protein Cal-mag is the balance needed. Yes their breath has a smell.It's a sweetish acetone oder & so does the milk.It also causes liver dysfunction.The way the weather was I would check my feeds to see what I need to change in the diet. You can also ask feed store about the problem & protein cal-mag ratio needed.

Latest posts