Artificial Insemination

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattle Boy

Reaction score
Can anyone discribe to me how to properly AI females or give me a link or pictures. Im a little nervous for next fall to AI females for spring calves.

If you have never done it before, and expect to have any great results I would suggest that you go take a course. Contact any of the big AI companies, they hold AI courses regularly. It is not an easy thing to learn, especially if you don't get hands on learning.

It's simplicity itself. Reach in through the rectum and grasp the cervix, pass the pipette/syringe in through the vagina, work the cervix over the pipette and when you are just inside the uterus, deposit the semen.
That's the mechanics of it. But if you don;t know what you're doing you can either waste the semen (dollars), or screw up the cow (dollars).
That's why there are schools!
dun

Your best bet is to find a class to take. I took a class at WSU last fall, actually lasted a whole semester, but since I'm considered staff it only cost me about $80 total. I could have done it with out the class if someone had shown me, but we have very few cattle in our area and it's hard to find someone.

Bobg

One of the semen houses advertises a "Learn at Home" dvd but after going to an AI school I would never try to learn on my own or via video. I went thru a lot of semen in the beginning even after going to school but it would have been a lot more if I had no school. A handful of wasted straws will pay for the class.

Cattle Boy":1bxwp2ws said:
Can anyone discribe to me how to properly AI females or give me a link or pictures. Im a little nervous for next fall to AI females for spring calves.

Probably the first thing you need to learn is to get spring calves you have to breed the cow in early summer. An AI class next April/May would be good timing to be ready to AI in June for March/April calves.

The best way for me to do this is as follows:

"Hi Holli, I have two in standing heat, can you come over in the morning?"

For me, the cost of what she charges greatly outways me learning how to do it for as few as I have.

Cattle Boy":1hh3oej1 said:
Im a little nervous for next fall to AI females for spring calves.

Since the usual gestation period for cows is 9 months, give or take a week or two, I'm thinking this isn't happening regardless of whether you master the basics of AI or not.

From my humbling experience you will only really learn to AI once you start AI-ing, even if you have attended a school. I would not even consider AI-ing without attending a school first, but once you have been to a school the learning process really only starts.

In the AI school I attended we practiced on old Jersey cull cows, that was so easy I thought nothing could be simpler. The real eye opener came when the next time I had to AI I had to do 5 virgin heifers on the same day. 4 of the 5 settled, but I was only sure about one (where I felt that I've deposited the semen in the right place) the other 3 was pure luck and no skill.

On the bright side its now 4 years later and the last two seasons I didn't even need a clean-up bull, but every now and then you will still get a humbling experience.

If your not a college grad may I suggest even before going to a.i. school that you take an a&p reproduction class before you take one of these courses. sure helped when it came to knowing where everything is in cattle. if you'll go to oklahoma state universitys animal science site theres cool stuff especially in class material....heres the site
http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/ good luck

Definitely go to an AI school.

I did and the best school should have numerous reproductive tracts of slaughtered bovine to first practice on. That will help you master the procedure faster than you "try and try again" on live animals. Each animal's cervix is different so you'll get to try easy and difficult ones. Some cervixes are nice and straight and open, others are tight and some even bent.

Then, a good school should have so many cows for you to practice on your arm will feel like it'll drop off after three days of inserting the AI gun. :D

So, after all that you need to go home and practice!

Yep go to school.
I feel great everytime I am in a cow and bad in about 20 days lol
Take the class but thats only the beginning.
Get in as many as you can as quick as you can.
Its one of the more frustrating rewarding things you can do.
But you need alot of help...
Now that I have gone to the class and done some of my cows
I am going to take the class again.
I know there is much more to learn and now I know alittle I will get a better grasp.

MD

Latest posts