Artic Vortex Weather Records

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Soooo close for all time low temperature this winter. Hit -56 but the Minnesota record is -60...

Now going for the all time snow depth record. In fourth place and gaining! :banana:

I wonder what effect the spring snow melt will have on Miss and Ohio River levels??
The Mississippi is already pretty high just from SE US rainfall totals.

https://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/index.php?forecast=riversnearby&place=vicksburg&state=ms

Got 5.5 to 6 foot of snow on the ground and 266 inches of snow for the winter and we've barely hit the freezing mark all winter so nothing has melted yet. Hopefully it melts slow or else spring may be ugly UP here.

Bonnet Carre spillway in New Orleans is now open. 1st time it has been opened in back-to-back years and only the 12th time since 1931..
We'll know it's serious later this spring if they open Morganza. It's only been open twice since it was built in 1954.

Can drive a tractor on the wind packed snow in many areas but there are some soft spots... Would need a payloader to open up these hard packed areas, so using a snowmobile to move the bale grazing poly wire.

Having to use tracked skid steers to remove ice fishing houses on some lakes.

Forecasting two more storms for next week. A foot or so of wet snow to add to the roof load. :(

I have drifts out in my fields 12 to 15 foot tall. Neighbor has been digging out his line of baleage and there is 5-6 feet of snow on top of the bales, he about to the point he can't get to the feed. Another guy had a cow walk off the packed trail and get stuck in 6' of snow and froze to death when it was -25 the other day.

If you were trying to bale graze here you would be in trouble. Bales would be lost in a see of white not to be seen again until spring.

Steve, I see up in northern Wisconsin that ice fisherman are worried about getting shanties off the ice in time, cant even get out with four wheelers or snowmobiles with all the slush under neath, only the die hards are getting out with snowshoes and that's not easy.

We hired a truck with a V plow to help get our fish house off the lake. He would take runs at the hard banks and sometimes only make it a foot or two each time. We were behind in another truck to pull him out backwards when he got stuck.

In some areas wheeled equipment will not work at all, and they have to bring in tracked equipment, mostly big skid steers.

Cows came home this morning which means a storm will hit soon. Expecting 8 to 12" of wet snow today, with another storm later in the week. Some barns are going down under the snow load.

Tried to help the neighbor work some sales barn bargains yesterday. A couple hopped the (shortened) corral fence and struck out cross country. Had to quit and do a round up with snowmobiles. Not hard to track a landscape of white, and the man eaters are a lot more docile after you have gathered them in deep snow. :cowboy:

Long as it's off by May, going up to Spooner again, last year it didn't come off until a week before the opener.

Army corps of engineers is in charge of measuring snow depths and moisture content of the snow around the state. Currently they rate the Fargo-Moorhead area at 65% chance of flooding this spring with a peak estimate of water 4 feet above the flood stage

The tv weather guessers are saying the snowstorm head our way late this afternoon is going to be a very heavy wet snow. aka widow maker from the increased rate of heart attacks that comes from hand shoveling that type of snow.

Son of Butch" The tv weather guessers are saying the snowstorm head our way late this afternoon is going to be a very heavy wet snow. aka widow maker from the increased rate of heart attacks that comes from hand shoveling that type of snow. [/quote said:
SIL's 59 year old father passed this winter. They found him dead on the porch are shoveling part of the drive way.

Once men are over 50 years old, their winter women are supposed to do all the snow shoveling. :nod:

Stocker Steve said:
Once men are over 50 years old, their winter women are supposed to do all the snow shoveling. :nod:

I've felt the same way regarding summer posthole digging but my wife just laughed at that premise..

Cows came home this morning so we knew another storm what coming. Snow and wind gusts up to 60 mph in North Dakota now. Pounding rain in most of Minnesota. Ice fishermen can not catch a break...

Rain started at 3pm yesterday and was still going when I got up at 4 for work.. nasty stuff. Helping knock the snow down though.