Arthrogryposis?

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
I got the PM resuts back today and it turns out the new calf died from arthrogryposis.Well more then likely all the serum and tissue sample results point to that.I had never heard of this before and needed it explained to me but I guess it is an ankylosis of the limbs usually combined with a cleft palate and other deformities seen in all breeds particularily Charolais.The calf will never stand or drink on its own.I remember I couldn't even tube it without the milk coming back through her nose.The only way to get food into her was with an eye dropper ,very small amounts at a time.She also had one normal ear and one mouse ear,and her eyes were at the sides of her head.

I had originally thought she was inbred and that was the result of her deformities and she died of septicemia.So I am actually kinda relieved that it was a gentic condition and not my maternity/calving conditions.Also the heifer that calved was a Char/Gv X.

Has anyone else had this and if so will that heifer have it again next year? I asked the Doc and all that he could say was maybe yes maybe no it could depend on what she is bred to.I would like to give her another chance as she is a real beauty and has excellent conformation but I can't afford another loss that could be prevented.

Would a DNA test give you the answer you need? If the cow has a resessive gene then this could happen again. but, if the bull had a dominant gene pre-disposing him and the cow none then...you would know.
Here is what i think i remember about genes. D= dominant R = resessive

Cow + Bull = result
D + D = D
R + D = D to the bull Same the other way
R + R = D Greater than50%
N + R = R less than 50%
I could be wrong (it's been 20 years since biology class) but i would find out if the cow is pre-disposed and then make your decision especially if you realy like this cow.
Others might say ship and replace but then again how much is a DNA test?

I have seen something similar a few times - very random events!
There are a number of possibilities - it can happen as a fluke of nature, be genetic, or be caused by a viral infection of the mother during pregnancy (specifically Akabane virus), and it has also been linked to poisons/feeds etc that the cow has been exposed to during early pregnancy (Sorghum sudanese has been linked to arthrogryposis in cattle, as have a few other weeds). Manganese deficiency is another link to arthrogryposis.

I would be less concerned if it is one off/random event. But - if you are having other problems with calves etc then I would be looking closer at it

Here is an interesting link that is worth reading
http://www.charolais.com/pdf/Quality%20Control.pdf

Latest posts