ARMYWORM

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
I talked to a neighbor last night, he said a guy who custom hays, found some army worm in the fields he was doing, about 5 miles from each of our places. My question is do you all know of something to spray as a preventative now, in case they get here?

About 7 years ago, we had them wiped out 3 hay fields in 2 days, and we border sprayed, but can't remember with what, and it did prevent them from going to the bottom. Any of you all ever have them?

Any suggestions on what to do or use would be appreciated.

Thanks

Gail

I can't remember the preventative spray because I don't use it. I don't like it. In our area, I watch for the full moon. They usually become active at this time. Then I watch for cowbirds and scout the fields. If I find some, I will usually spray liquid sevin.

Wetable Seven dust will work but I don't know how long it will stay active. In other words it would work for several days but might not work for a week or more in the future. I guess a lot depends on if you get any rain on it to wash it off the leaves.

Sure hope you don't get them in your field. It won't take but just a few days and you won't have anything left but stems.

Good luck.

I use "Lannate".

Works lots better than sevin and seems to have some residual effects unlike Sevin.

Neighbor is getting her ha fields sprayed since she can;t get it baled for a couple of weeks. Don;t know what they're using but it's running $19 per acre applied

dun

Farm Talk just came in and they have an article about arm worms. What is used is Mustand Max , Success, and Tracer 4SC. There has been several pasture in this area that has the worms. Most are going to bale instead of spraying.

r and s peckman":2olssdqi said:
Farm Talk just came in and they have an article about arm worms. What is used is Mustand Max , Success, and Tracer 4SC. There has been several pasture in this area that has the worms. Most are going to bale instead of spraying.

Yep we found a few worms in one of our fields, we are frantically cutting hay right now, but will have to border spray some of the fields now. The ones you listed you have to have a license to buy now and use, the mialathon is what I was told to use, gonna try that with our boom sprayer and hope for the best. Wish we could get our hay up quicker, but time is our enemy on the farm.

Gail

For those familiar witrh the general area around Lebanon, MO, near Bennet springs they've lost several fields in the past week to aarmy worms. One field of alfalfa, 300 acres, was wiped out over the week-end.

dun

Hit and miss around here. Cut yesterday, raked and got about half baled today.

Cost (can't remember the product name) goes for about $7 an acre but once you notice them you got to get on it fast.

Go out in the early morning and late evening and that is when you will see the moths flying above the fields. Just google for a picture of them.

If you suspect them get out in your hay field and check out about a 5 foot square area looking for the suckers (worms).

They will wipe out a field in a day. Have not heard of folks spraying cause they "think" they got them as it is costly. Only know of folks who spray that got them.

Been lucky here but they are around.

Last word is that if hay prices were not already high enough this is going to put it through the roof.

J

Found some army worms in the wheat last night. Also today I found some in the hay meadow. The problem is the weather, looks like rain for a couple of days, then one day of sun, them several more days of rain.

r and s peckman":3doh84f9 said:
Found some army worms in the wheat last night. Also today I found some in the hay meadow. The problem is the weather, looks like rain for a couple of days, then one day of sun, them several more days of rain.

By that time you won't have to worry you won't have anyhting left to cut.

GMN

r and s peckman":3e2oykex said:

What GMN says is absolute gospil (sp). If you find them in your field they need to be dealt with immediately. They will wipe out a 30 acre field in less than a day.

So you have them in the field. But it's going to rain.
Would you cut anyway then? Sorry hay is better than nothing?

dj":2ciqqz0j said:
So you have them in the field. But it's going to rain.
Would you cut anyway then? Sorry hay is better than nothing?

I see your point. I guess I was thinking that it's goin' rain, spray anyway and kill as many of the suckers as possible and bale when it dried out.

It don't take long for wetable Sevin to work and there may be other products that will continue to work even after a little rain - I don't know. I have seen Sevin work and within a few minutes the worms are dying.

But if this is a real situation for you it's too late and you've already lost your field. Or the infestation wasn't army worm at all. Good luck to you.

Latest posts