Army Worms!

Help Support CattleToday:

A6gal

Reaction score
Just when you think everything is under control something unexpected shows it's ugly head! Has anyone heard news on an army worm invasion in south Texas or anywhere else?

I first noticed these little green monsters crawling around every where on the cement in my shop area last weekend. Didn't know what they were. Then just received a call from a neighbor warning me not to plant oats yet because of the army worm problem. Too late! They went in the ground late last week.

Another neighbor said they're destroying his coastal field. I'm going out to take a close look at mine this afternoon when I get off work. I'm also going to call my ag extension guy.

Would like any input and experience anyone else has had or is having with this problem.

I did hear this year was real bad with them in the Soy Bean fields....they can shred a field in no time. If you have them, I believe you spray for them, but you need to catch it quick.

Yep they are bad I found this picture of them. I didnt know they carry Grenades.
Worms2.jpg

Sorry couldnt resist LOL!

I just had my newly planted alfalfa sprayed for army worm and bean leaf cutworm. Not uncommon to spray army worm in the spring, and about every 4or 5 years in the fall. This was my first experience with the bean leaf cutworm. This took a dose of lorsban to conquer. For army worm I usually use mustang or warrior.

We had a pasture planted with oats one year that sat on a hillside. Those little boogers got in there and you could see exactly where they were by the change in color. They are the only thing I have found to be comparable to a fire ant when it comes to being aggressive and persistant.

Good Luck knocking them out! :cry:

fire up your spray rig.with fuel cost i bet itll cost $20 an ac to spray.your oats shouldnt be sprouted yet.scott

Oats just went in last week and of course we've had no rain and none in sight so they're okay for now.

I am worried about what will happen when the oats do sprout. Also, I am worried about my coastal fields. I read that army worms like wet weather. Certainly hasn't been wet here. What little rain I got a while back soaked in immediately and left things as dry as before the rain.

I guess spraying is one more project to add to the TOP of that list that I never get to the bottom of. Last night I started on one of Dun's barrel mineral feeders and thought finishing it was my only worry. :roll:

Usually you see an army worm invasion after a fairly decent rain.. something about the rain making them hatch. They are very very destructive, and can go through an oat or coastal field in no time.

Sevin dust is the best.. Tempo will work too. But if you've got them anywhere around, you need to spray. They move quickly.

A6gal":2oh42kh6 said:
Just when you think everything is under control something unexpected shows it's ugly head! Has anyone heard news on an army worm invasion in south Texas or anywhere else?

I first noticed these little green monsters crawling around every where on the cement in my shop area last weekend. Didn't know what they were. Then just received a call from a neighbor warning me not to plant oats yet because of the army worm problem. Too late! They went in the ground late last week.

Another neighbor said they're destroying his coastal field. I'm going out to take a close look at mine this afternoon when I get off work. I'm also going to call my ag extension guy.

Would like any input and experience anyone else has had or is having with this problem.

Have em every year,spray your pasture with seven problem goes away until next year.

Well, I went out and took a look out in the coastal field and couldn't find any sign of worms in the grass. I'm not sure what to think.

I have a tendency to get all worked up before I fully assess a situation, so I'm gonna calm down and do some more assessing before I spend a lot of money on spraying.

Question: If you spray with liquid seven do you need to take the cattle off for awhile?