Army Worms

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred

Reaction score
Mowed the lawn today and probably killed a few thousand army worms. Didn't even bother to walk out in the pasture. I think I could hear them marching and chewing. :cry: :???:

Found a few spots around the barns and tree line loafing areas. Not enough to be concerned just yet as I Didnt see evidence in the pastures but a crop duster has been spraying just south of us.

I wonder why they are so prevalent some places and other places they are such a rarity? Surely cowbirds can't account for it alone. (not that I want any army worms thank you)

They always seem worse around a moon cycle, Full or new moon. Harvest Moon tonight.

Army worms are all around me,too. In my cousins hay field last week. I have been lax about checking my pastures the last few days. Must get on it tomorrow. Have been helping my sister for the last two weeks after she fell and fractured a vertebra in her back. Things just don't get done when I am busy with other things that I cannot help.

TexasBred":wrk1ix7b said:
Mowed the lawn today and probably killed a few thousand army worms. Didn't even bother to walk out in the pasture. I think I could hear them marching and chewing. :cry: :???:
No army worms so far this year plenty of love bugs bumper crop of them

Caustic Burno":3h8p9kj8 said:
TexasBred":3h8p9kj8 said:
No army worms so far this year plenty of love bugs bumper crop of them

Love Bugs....that's a dirty word CB. Hadn't thought about those things in a while but do know your neck of the woods is famous for them. Also heard them called "Telephone Bugs". They just say hello and hang up. :lol: :lol:

TB they are actually so thick this year have to wear a respirator on the tractor.
Guess it was all the rain we had this year it is cyclic we had the army worms last year.

I have a bunch of army worms laying on their backs wiggling in agony. This makes me feel good for some reason.

Jogeephus":2ojce2n1 said:
I have a bunch of army worms laying on their backs wiggling in agony. This makes me feel good for some reason.
Only thing better is hearing grasshoppers screaming. :lol:

Checked pastures this morning, but no Army worms yet. Was surprised to see cow birds back right with cows today. I just knew they were after worms in grass, but they were on some of the cows and around them. Will check more this afternoon late.
Love bugs are returning a few a day.

Williamsv":2svnrksv said:
Checked pastures this morning, but no Army worms yet. Was surprised to see cow birds back right with cows today. I just knew they were after worms in grass, but they were on some of the cows and around them. Will check more this afternoon late.
Love bugs are returning a few a day.

As a general rule they greatly prefer heavily fertilized grass. Not to say they won't attack pastures but most of the time in our area the cattle folks, if they're like me, can't afford to fertilize the pastures that heavily so they're generally not as attractive to the worms.

I am in that same group. Fertilized with chicken litter last spring. Maybe they will stay out of mine.

I road the pastures last night and I can't say I've ever seen so many moths. Maybe they came to pay their respects to their dead because the ground is covered with the carcasses of the caterpillars.

Latest posts