Anyone used these Angus sires ?

Help Support CattleToday:

coachg

Reaction score
Son and I are thinking of AI ing some of our registered cows. Anyone used Deer Valley All In, GAR Prophet, or Plattemere Weigh Up ? These are 3 bulls our tech has recommended . :?: Looking for heifer producing sire to build on. Thanks !

All in is popular, dont know that he is a heifer bull, personally. Seen enough Prophets to like them but they will have some white from time to time. Cant help you on Weigh up.

We used Connealy Courage this year but dont have any yet. I have seen some Connealy Comrade heifers that were awesome. These two bulls wont increase frame however.

Agree with previous post. Prophets seem good just watch the white. All in has big numbers just haven't seen any daughters yet. Weigh up only seen 1 daughter, she was stout but just 1 animal.

Courage and Comrade seem to be hot and offspring from what I have heard people like.

Do you want to use proven bulls or unproven? What type of epds or phenotype do you want?

I have 5 Prophet calves on the ground now, 2 bull, 3 heifers they are only about 2 mths old and they are holding their own with the other bulls I used, SAV Thunderbird, Poss Total Impact, Equator A241. A Prophet bull calf is emerging from the pack as the stand out calf.
Ken

Wildcat, not up on all the EPD info except BW. Just looking to get the best possible females we can get. My cows have a lot of GAR influence in their pedigrees. Not bothered by the white issue if they have clean udders and milk. Don't care if they are proven sires or up and comers ! The more herd sire profiles I look at the more confused I get! Lol

Is your SS rep/tech just telling you who his best sellers are or does he have good info and feedback ...?

I know my ABS tech is a dairy guy, all he can tell me is what he's selling and what's in demand for his PB and/or commercial clients, not much else feedback, which is fine, he's honest about it all is all I expect ...

I'd ask your rep about feet and legs on these bulls, I don't know anything about SS line up but I'd think they have a real cow maker in there somewhere, the bulls picked may be but I'd want to know about milking daughters if I was wanting to retain heifers out of them.
With mature cows it really opens it up as what you can use, BW is not a real issue.
If your breeding heifers look at Remedy ive seen some of his calves come small grow good.

What GAR sires is your herd have? Predestined, 5050 etc...? Remedy's sire Thunder seems to make good daughters he is at GeneX. Previous post hit it for me about wanting to retain females I like to see how others are doing.

I purchased a group of young cows bread to weigh up and werner war party and Boyd Signature.. They're all night but so far the weigh up calves seem to be more appealing. There march april calves so its still early. The best calf out of the group is probably a bull calf out of Boyd Signature.

coachg":1kvg3g7a said:
Deer Valley All In, GAR Prophet, or Plattemere Weigh Up... are 3 bulls our tech has recommended.
Looking for heifer producing sire to build on. Thanks !
They all look like good bulls, but based on epds I would scratch GAR Prophet in favor of Connealy Comrade for herd building.
Comrade 13 cem 32 doc hp 14 $W 73 milk 25 $EN -4.35
G Prophet 10 cem 29 doc hp 9 $W 90 milk 34 $EN -40.58

Weigh Up has incredible HP 21 ranking him in top 1% of the breed for fertility based on heifer pregnancies.
All In has the hot 10X pedigree
but I think Comrade deserves to be in the discussion when it comes to Select Sires for a well balanced bull to produce
replacement females.

We have a Weigh Up heifer born in July that is completely outpacing her compatriots who are a month older (and include Signature and GAR Predestined sires among them). We have a consultant/friend who helps us with matings as we are fairly new to this and wanted to make progress with sizing ours up a bit without losing our docility and good maternals. His Weigh Up pick worked well and we have bred most of ours back to Comrade. Hope his look as good as Weigh Up's. Won't know til Spring.

I had an All In bull calf born to a heifer about a month ago. He was TINY but hit the ground running. I would use him again on heifers but not cows.

KW

Latest posts