anyone use candle lanterns

Help Support CattleToday:

regolith

Reaction score
...I know, I should just change the lightbulb.

So I got a couple of nice looking candle lanterns the other day - one with stained glass for tea lights only, the other a larger one with a chimney and door.

Put one of my household 7-hour candles in the large one last night and sat down to read. 5 minutes later one of the panes of glass shattered. Spent the next few hours reading by the light filtering in from a working lightbulb in another room (which room has no heating, or electrical outlet that doesn't make unpleasant noises).

Been googling candle lanterns and the glass is supposed to be able to withstand the heat :help: and they are supposed to be able to handle standard household candles :help: so what did I do wrong?
And that door - it seems pretty obvious that if you latch it, you don't open it again to blow the candle out without burning your fingers :help:

Wife has several for power outages and such, she put's those big scented candle's in.
Never seen the glass break on one yet and she has had them for year's.

I saw some really nice candle type lanterns at a swap meet. On closer inspection they must have been made strictly for decoraiton since the "glass" was actaully plastic.

I went to wedding recently and the mother of the bride had made candle lanterns for all of the guests but she didn't put candles in them. The ones she made didn't have glass or plastic or anything. I brought one home but I haven't tried it out yet. I keep forgetting to buy a candle to put in it.

I'm about ready to give up on modern technology like lightbulbs and computers :mad:

Found some tea lights on the cupboard and tried one in the lantern - it didn't heat up, didn't damage any more glass and didn't throw out any light, kept drowning itself in wax and going out instead.
Even I couldn't read by that... ga I've got unusually good night vision, hope that doesn't change because on one of those websites a guy said candles were bright enough to read by thirty years ago. I couldn't imagine not being able to find my way home by starlight.

Latest posts