Anyone recommend a good cattle magazine?

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
What is a good, popular magazine concerning cows? I know i can find everything I need on the internet, but I guess I'm a little old fashioned and like a hard copy of things. I would like a magazine that is for enjoyment as well as information; I like looking at pictures too. My grandfather always got "The Progressive Farmer," but i haven't seen a copy in years. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Drovers and Working Ranch as well as Beef Magazine are good. On the beef magazine website they also have other magazines that can be subscribed to

If you live in Canada the Canadian Cattlemen Magazine is also a good one to follow.

As dun said, Beef, Drover's, Beef Cow Calf weekly, I'll add Hoard's Dairyman to that list as well even though its geared primarily towards the dairy industry some of the info found there can be applied to beef production.

Katherine

jedstivers":29uir2zx said:
kenny thomas":29uir2zx said:
Progressive Farmer is still there. Also Cattle Today is a very good one.
Never seen cattle today and I get tons of stuff.
Actually Jed I was getting cattle today before I visited this forum. Mostly the same articles with quite a bit of advertisement.

I been getting Farm & Ranch Living is one of the best one's I ever read. Its always something new. One issue may be about Dairy Cows and the Next about Cow/Calf Farms. Its always different and is got Diarys from the Ranchers day by day for 30 days. I like them, there a good read and you can get a few good ideals from them. But as far as super informative about what your doing on a ranch not so good :)

Gulf Coast Cattleman is good as well as Cattle Today. No one mentioned it, but the host of this forum is Cattle Today. I like the hard copy (sorry, it comes with age). Your state cattlemen's association likely puts out a very good magazine also.

Phil in Tupelo

I get Progressive Farmer and unfortunatley it is about as worthless to a cattleman as Good Housekeeping. It seems to be geared mostly to row croppers and the same articles are regurgitated every month in different words. I think the farm inheritance / retirement subject is re-hashed in each magazine. Once in a blue moon a decent cattle article is written. Most of the cattle articles that appear are VERY basic and general. If you are a row cropper in the mid-west I would highly recommend it however.

My state cattlemans association put out a decent one and I get the American Gelbvieh Association mag and it is pretty good as well. I am sure the Angus folks, Hereford folks etc. have monthly mags as well.

I would recommend seeing if your state has a state cattlemens assn. magazine. If so it seems it would be more helpful because it would focus more on your area and the way others in your area do things. Articles in nation wide magazines are great but how somebody in Oregon does things probably isn't going to help me in Georgia

Lucky_P":19amsps6 said:

I would say that Graze is the most interesting if you are in the Midwest. It tends to be a little dairy focused but it includes a couple unusual columns that focus on ag policy and family farming values.
I used to really like Stockman Grass Farmer but it has gotten pretty thin. The current themes of bale and mob grazing have helped me fine tune my approach.
I think Beef is a distant third with more traditional how tos that often focus on why you should buy this input, and macro economics forecasts that are usually wrong.
Successful Farming is better than Progressive Farming but they both focus on row crops. I usually just drool over the shop temples that some of the dirt surfers build.
I just signed up for Drovers.

Latest posts