Anyone on here a home builder or draw up blue prints ??

Help Support CattleToday:

Ohio Cowboy

Reaction score
So I've decide to take on a little remodel project and need help designing stairs to get into a bonus room in a truss.

Son of Butch":269699v4 said:
Tight on space?
Spiral staircases 42"- 60" diameter are readily available pre-made and finished.... $600 - $3,000
i have a place i've been wanting to move around the bath and kitchen but the staircase needs redone as well. I don't have room to do it but with the spiral I think I will.

thanks for the idea.

My daughter just bought a house with a Spiral staircase. In the process of moving she found that there was not anything she owned that could be carried up to the second floor. You are very limited.

Yes, spiral staircases are convenient space savers and they are attractive.
He said it was for a bonus room,so I assumed limited use, but depending on them for daily use gets old real fast.

Ohio Cowboy":1g2ub5sk said:
So I've decide to take on a little remodel project and need help designing stairs to get into a bonus room in a truss.
What are your parameters? I can help.

Ohio Cowboy":3uidsne2 said:

Was the trusses designed to be able to support a room up stairs. I am doing the same thing and had the trusses designed to have a 8 x 24 room upstairs. the trusses span 30 feet. Had to have 2 x6 for upper rafters part of the truss and 2x6 spanning the 8 feet wide part of the truss. This is over the garage that is 24 x 30 feet. There are no post of support in the garage.

Sorry it took me so long been working...
Here is a rough sketch. The lower room will have a standard 8' ceiling. My worry is about how much the stairway will stick out into the first area and how much headroom it will take from that room. The upper room is centered on the lower room by truss design.

Ohio Cowboy":2m7k205n said:
Sorry it took me so long been working...
Here is a rough sketch. The lower room will have a standard 8' ceiling. My worry is about how much the stairway will stick out into the first area and how much headroom it will take from that room. The upper room is centered on the lower room by truss design.
My guess is, it will be some pretty steep stairs. Mine is kinda like that, but more room allowed. Stairs is setting over a pantry/closet, with a small landing on the bottom, just big enough for a piece of furniture to make the turn to be sent upstairs. My stair treads are 41" wide.
I believe, there are 17 steps..
Just to give you an idea how much room stairs takes and still be able to easily make it up the stairs:

Are the trusses already built? I recently helped a friend with his 16x32 cottage. He has a a 10 foot wide room upstairs and we made the stairs work out nicely but his trusses are built as a mono pitch that makes the upstairs room more to one side. That helped a lot in getting the stairs to work out without making them overly steep or going to a non conventional stair such as a a cape cod stair or a spiral. What is the shape of the roof? Which way are the trusses running? What will the upstairs be used for? Make sure you plan for egress. You don't want a fire downstairs to trap you upstairs with no means for escape. You will need an egress window at the end opposite the stairs. I can send you the mono pitch truss design and the hand sketched layout that I did for him for the framing of the stairs.

RayfromTX":17gyotjb said:
Are the trusses already built? I recently helped a friend with his 16x32 cottage. He has a a 10 foot wide room upstairs and we made the stairs work out nicely but his trusses are built as a mono pitch that makes the upstairs room more to one side. That helped a lot in getting the stairs to work out without making them overly steep or going to a non conventional stair such as a a cape cod stair or a spiral. What is the shape of the roof? Which way are the trusses running? What will the upstairs be used for? Make sure you plan for egress. You don't want a fire downstairs to trap you upstairs with no means for escape. You will need an egress window at the end opposite the stairs. I can send you the mono pitch truss design and the hand sketched layout that I did for him for the framing of the stairs.

That would be great. The trusses we were looking at were a gambrel style. It gave us 7ft head room in the entire room. The trusses are 16ft long and they were designed for 2ft on centers. I was going to use a typical truss on the end instead of an end truss so I could hand frame for a egress window.
It is going to be a play room/game room.

Latest posts