Anyone here ever (successfully) raise night crawlers?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I have a bunch of big earthworms in an old compost pile, and am thinking about putting them in a container of some sort to raise for fishing.

Everyone around here that has tried it found that ants got into their containers and either killed the worms or made it too painful to harvest them.
Will an old chest type freezer work?
Will it be too airtight?
Too hot/cold?

Thoughts/suggestions?

I have a red worm bed. 1/2 of a 55 gal plastic barrel 1/2 " drain hole on each end . every couple of years i will try and pick out all of the worms and put in fresh dirt. I go to the woods for the soil that is as black as I can find. Mushroom compost will work if you spread it out and let it cool before you put in the bin. I layer it in the bin a few inches thick with soil, manure , soil, manure. the dry manure will work but I prefer and the worms prefer a patty that is soft but can stiff enough to lift with a pitch fork. keep the bin moist. I use an old piece of carpet to cover the bin. just set them in a shady spot and treat the ground around the bin for ants. I have raised wigglers with the same process. the easiest way to pick the worms is to put 1/2 of a citern on top and in a couple of day turn it over and there will be several hundred under it.

Greybeard, I never have fooled with any worms or nightcrawlers, but your post did remind me of a sign that I saw in a bait shop one time...

"Our worms are guaranteed to catch fish... or die trying"!

:D
I've drowned a slew of 'em and came home with an empty stringer. Usually feeding turtles and 2" long bream.

I have a red worm bed. 1/2 of a 55 gal plastic barrel 1/2 " drain hole on each end . every couple of years i will try and pick out all of the worms and put in fresh dirt. I go to the woods for the soil that is as black as I can find. Mushroom compost will work if you spread it out and let it cool before you put in the bin. I layer it in the bin a few inches thick with soil, manure , soil, manure. the dry manure will work but I prefer and the worms prefer a patty that is soft but can stiff enough to lift with a pitch fork. keep the bin moist. I use an old piece of carpet to cover the bin. just set them in a shady spot and treat the ground around the bin for ants. I have raised wigglers with the same process. the easiest way to pick the worms is to put 1/2 of a citern on top and in a couple of day turn it over and there will be several hundred under it.
What is a citern?

Thanks for the input. I gather if I use the freezer, I need to drill some drain holes to keep it from turning to mud on the bottom--but won't the worms just crawl out the drain holes?
Should I leave the lid partially open for air circulation?

greybeard":2m5nzrmv said:
:D
I've drowned a slew of 'em and came home with an empty stringer. Usually feeding turtles and 2" long bream.

What is a citern? it Is a plant that grows wild looks like a watermelon vine and the fruit is about the size of a honeydew and green. the rind makes good pickles and not to bad when battered and fried.

Thanks for the input. I gather if I use the freezer, I need to drill some drain holes to keep it from turning to mud on the bottom--but won't the worms just crawl out the drain holes? you can put some screen wire over the holes I never liked freezers because if you filled it up with dirt they would be hard to find and always be on the bottom
Should I leave the lid partially open for air circulation?
yes

I did some work for a guy who raises them commercially and he has them on tables and harvests them with electricity. It will bring them right to the top and then you just rake them up.

greybeard":3pflqjh7 said:
I have a bunch of big earthworms in an old compost pile, and am thinking about putting them in a container of some sort to raise for fishing.

Everyone around here that has tried it found that ants got into their containers and either killed the worms or made it too painful to harvest them.
Will it be too airtight?
Too hot/cold?

Thoughts/suggestions?

I got some junk logs laying around on purpose and all i do is roll a few and I can fish for a few hours lol.

skyhightree1":2fcvm2lp said:
greybeard":2fcvm2lp said:

Will it be too airtight?
Too hot/cold?

Thoughts/suggestions?

I got some junk logs laying around on purpose and all i do is roll a few and I can fish for a few hours lol.
You must not have many feral hogs or armadillos then.

I got some junk logs laying around on purpose and all i do is roll a few and I can fish for a few hours lol.[/quote]
You must not have many feral hogs or armadillos then.[/quote]

This is correct :lol:

skyhightree1":2oq2q5x8 said:
You must not have many feral hogs or armadillos then.[/quote]

This is correct :lol:[/quote]

What about snakes.?

That'll work. I've got two old pieces of plywood laying in the edge of the woods, and I just turn them over and pull out 20 or 30 and head to the pond.

We used to have a setup with two rods that you plugged in and shoved them into the ground. It always helped to water it earlier in the day and then shoet em the juice.
They come out pretty good that way! ....................and no stinking snakes

Latest posts