Anyone graze triticale ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Richnm

Reaction score
Planted 20 acres of spring triticale. My seed dealer told me the spring variety can be grazed all summer long ? Anyone heard this before ? I thought it was a one cut crop ?

Bump. Is there really not anyone out there that is willing elaborate?

I'm looking into no tilling some winter pasture (cereal rye or triticale) and would like to hear what the folks have to say!

Unless its something new.....some new tech....it will be done about May or so.

I've only used it once. I had the fertilizer company spread cereal rye/oats with their truck and I harrowed it in. They didn't quite get it overlapped so I had perfect 15' bare streaks every pass. They were out of rye so the guy brought me 5 bags of triticale. I drilled it in the bare streaks so it was easy to monitor. Must be very palatable as the cows mowed it down first. I think it's probably an excellent feed but it didn't hold up to the grazing pressure as good as the rye and oats. This could be partly attributed to the fact there was only a small amount of it and the cows preferred it more therefore it was subjected to heavier pressure. Just my observation based on limited experience

I heard oats is better for grazing ? Have 15 acres now in oats tempted to let the cows out but worried about nitrate poisoning. I didn't add any nitrogen. Would it be safe ?

Some dairy guys who like iron use it here. It overwinters like cereal rye but is more palatable. I have double cropped it behind grazing corn. Triticale for early turn out and grazing corn to pop stockers.

Not sure why one would plant it in the spring. Bin run oats would be less expensive. Either one would be spendy for cows.