anybody use Cheyenne or rancho Frio

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I planted about 30 acres of Cheyenne a couple years ago. Due to the severe drought of the last 2 years I don't have any comments on it. I know they are out of it and used any they had for Rancho Frio, which has mohawk,Cheyenne,and Giant Bermuda. Anyone use this or have any comments one way or another. it is running $378 per 50lb bag.

In 2004, I planted a mix of Giant and common bermuda in a pasture. Cost of the Giant seed was something like double the common bermuda. In my situation the Giant wasn't worth jack much less twice the cost. I've still got common but NO Giant. The Giant never took off like the common did ( and 2004 was an incredibly wet year) and then 2 years of drought later, I don't have any Giant. That's my hard luck story about Giant.

kind of like my experience with it. I know some people who love it but it is under irrigation so it should grow good. You can buy 3 times the amount of common vs the hybrid. I have thought about just over seeding common and see what happens

Last year I went with some giant and it is coming back sparsely. I have 40 lbs of Cheyenne seed that I never planted but intend on planting this year. There are about 4 acres at the house that will get Cheyenne and the rest is going to the farm. Cheyenne is my final attempt at seed. If this variety doesn't work, henceforth everything will be sprigged in coastal (which works great).

We planted about 5 acres of the Rancho Frio last year behind the house. It came up real good despite the hot, dry weather we had during the summer. We had a ton of goat weed that I didn't get around to spraying (bush-hogged in late summer) that didn't seem to bother it either. We put horses on it in the fall/winter and they've grazed it down to the roots, but it's coming back out now. I'm pretty happy with it..

The trouble with buying "common" bermuda is that you don't know if it is a forage or turf type bermuda. There is lots of differences between the two types of "common" bermuda.

plbcattle":fwz76klf said:
I planted about 30 acres of Cheyenne a couple years ago. Due to the severe drought of the last 2 years I don't have any comments on it. I know they are out of it and used any they had for Rancho Frio, which has mohawk,Cheyenne,and Giant Bermuda. Anyone use this or have any comments one way or another. it is running $378 per 50lb bag.

Neighbor a few miles over put in Cheyene a couple of years back looks pretty good.