Any propane gurus here?

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly beef man

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about propane burners? I have a browing camp stove that I use to can on that has started to flame up instead of having a small blue hot flame. I tried to blow it out with an air hose and this helped some, but it still will not burn clean. Does anyone any tricks or is it time to get a new one? I have canned on it for five years so it has had some use. Thanks.

if you can take the burner apart and clean it out it should fix it. the air intake will need to be adjusted to get the flame like you like it.

Probably your orifice. Propane should be larger than natural gas etc, so that is obviously not your problem. My guess is that your orifice has corroded and your air to gas mixture is no longer correct. Some of the supply houses call them "jets". You can change it out. Make sure you get propane.

I am not a guru by any means.

backhoeboogie":rliasi2v said:
Probably your orifice. Propane should be larger than natural gas etc, so that is obviously not your problem. My guess is that your orifice has corroded and your air to gas mixture is no longer correct. Some of the supply houses call them "jets". You can change it out. Make sure you get propane.

No guru here by any means either.

I'd like to add if possible take your orifice/jet apart and clean/scrape any accumulated crud out with a small wire such as a straightened paper clip.

"Here" cutter bees are notorious for plugging delicate stuff like your burner if not used for a while.

Be sure to check any joints you disconnected for leaks after you put them back together with something like liquid dishwashing soap.

Natural gas orifices are actually larger than propane orifices.

Natural gas is delivered at a lower pressure and has a lower btu rating per cubic ft. thus uses a larger orifice. Propane on the other hand is delivered at a higher pressure, burns hotter (much higher btu rating) and uses a smaller orifice.

It is definitely an air to gas mixture problem. Start with the burner and work back to the regulator. Clean the burner, check the orifice, check the hose for any blockage, check the regulator to make sure you are getting the correct delivery pressure. If you are not able to check delivery pressure on the regulator you may need to just try another regulator and hose. Also check your bottle to make sure it has enough propane and pressure to operate correctly.

Most important, do all of this outside, not in your basement.

Thanks guys. I took everything apart and removed the crud with carb cleaner. When I put it back together one burner works as good as new, and one still flames up. We only have one canner so this is not a problem. Mamma is happily back to canning beans. Thanks again.

backhoeboogie":1nckj00h said:

Wait, you knew how to spell orifice didn't you?

Latest posts