Any issues if heifer doesn't breed back?

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
This is probably a greenhorn question, but I am aware that it is sometimes difficult to get a heifer to breed back after her first calf. If a heifer fails to breed back and doesn't have another calf within a year, and then several more months can be added to that, are there any negative issues that can arise with a long span between calves? Any difference in ease of calving, milk production, caring for the calf, or do things usually proceed as usual?

In my experience sometimes there was a good reason why she didn't breed back and after the next calf she has some other issue and has to go - didn't get in calf again, or slipped one, etc.
Sometimes they go on to be great cows with one strike against them already which never gets added to until they become unsound many years later. I have a handful of cows in the second category and am really glad I gave them a second chance. No different from letting them have an extra year at the start and calving at three, which many farmers in my area do, since it's hard country and they live on grass, not extra grains.

With first calf heifers bred to calve as two year olds if they don't breed up with the second calf they'll usually come back with a good calf the next time around without getting to fat as the reason they don't breed back the first time around is that they are still growing themselves and raising a calf and growing at the same time is hard work.
The goal is to get to where you have cows that breed back and give you a calf every year and heifers that don't fit that model should be high on your list of potential culls but not all cows are capable of breeding back up with that second calf in a timely manner and sometimes it's easier to deal with a known problem and try to fix it in future generations than it is to ship her and buy an unknown set of problems.

I think if the heifer makes a really big calf the first time, and you value that, you will have to live with less of them breeding back.. there are others that are 'slow starters', and make a dink the first time, but grow better and become good cows too.. either scenario the cow has a strike against them.

Sale her and replace her. If she didn't breed back on time she needs replaced. That said, if you palpate her and she is bred, calve her out and don't give her a third chance. If your not in it for the money give her that chance.

If its one heifer doing that, cull her as advised. If it's a few heifers with this issue, it may be time to evaluate the nutrition side of things. First calvers require subtantial protein to keep growing and breed back in a timely manner. Post partum is an extremely demanding time for a first calver and nutritional needs are higher than your average brood cow. As stated previously, theyre nursing a calf, repairing/preparing reproductive system for breeding, and still growing themselves.

cow pollinater":2z88udsu said:
With first calf heifers bred to calve as two year olds if they don't breed up with the second calf they'll usually come back with a good calf the next time around without getting to fat as the reason they don't breed back the first time around is that they are still growing themselves and raising a calf and growing at the same time is hard work.
The goal is to get to where you have cows that breed back and give you a calf every year and heifers that don't fit that model should be high on your list of potential culls but not all cows are capable of breeding back up with that second calf in a timely manner and sometimes it's easier to deal with a known problem and try to fix it in future generations than it is to ship her and buy an unknown set of problems.

That's my situation. I'm not depending on the income, and it's more trouble for me to take them to the sale barn and replace them than to just wait out the extra time as long as things are usually ok when they do have the second calf.

But what if she breeds replacement heifers who also follow in her footsteps. You may sit out a year on every one of them, and then suddenly half a dozen females later you've left 10 grand on the table, downgraded your fertility, plus fed (rewarded them) for it, .

I know its tough to get rid of a 'good looking' heifer, but I'd have good producing ones.

I always give a first calf heifer a chance. But if she's not bred back in 6 months she takes a ride.

Supa Dexta":2ne6uzxf said:
But what if she breeds replacement heifers who also follow in her footsteps. You may sit out a year on every one of them, and then suddenly half a dozen females later you've left 10 grand on the table, downgraded your fertility, plus fed (rewarded them) for it, .

I know its tough to get rid of a 'good looking' heifer, but I'd have good producing ones.

On one hand, I hear that it is often tough to get heifers to breed back after their first calf, which makes me feel that it is a common thing; they are busy growing themselves, etc. If it's a common thing, then I don't look at it as a defect, and I don't see the need to ship them;

On the other hand, some say that if they don't breed back to ship them, and warn that their calves might be the same way, which leads me to believe it can happen, but is a sign of a problem and not typical. So, which is more common, to breed back, or not to breed back?

I usually put heifers in with a bull a month earlier than the cows. After their first calve, they are expected to breed back with the rest. As long as they are in good condition it shouldn't be a problem. If so. They leave.

It's more common for them to breed back on time as long as they are kept above a bcs of 4.

B&M Farms":3v6xbc64 said:
I usually put heifers in with a bull a month earlier than the cows. After their first calve, they are expected to breed back with the rest. As long as they are in good condition it shouldn't be a problem. If so. They leave.

It's more common for them to breed back on time as long as they are kept above a bcs of 4.

So, poor nutrition is the basic culprit. I assume making sure the hay is top quality, if in winter, and some supplemental feed. Does that usually do it?

herofan":qbaxcaiv said:
[So, poor nutrition is the basic culprit. I assume making sure the hay is top quality, if in winter, and some supplemental feed. Does that usually do it?

I am not an expert but I make sure they have good minerals all the time and I believe it helps quite a bit.

What I do is preg check and anything open goes heifer cow young or old. I do not want to feed open cows through the winter (I prefer spring calfs) knowing no money is coming. Not saying this right and I have sold some nice young ones.

littletom":aw9u0yl6 said:
What I do is preg check and anything open goes heifer cow young or old. I do not want to feed open cows through the winter (I prefer spring calfs) knowing no money is coming. Not saying this right and I have sold some nice young ones.

I agree completely. I am trying to build my herd from within and I feel as long as they are fed well before they calf there is no excuse to not breed back. It hurts to sell them after one calf but to weed out the marginal fertility females it is what needs to be done. Just my opinion. Only exception would be if the bull didn't do his job.

strihafarms":tra817gj said:
littletom":tra817gj said:

I agree completely. I am trying to build my herd from within and I feel as long as they are fed well before they calf there is no excuse to not breed back. It hurts to sell them after one calf but to weed out the marginal fertility females it is what needs to be done. Just my opinion. Only exception would be if the bull didn't do his job.

Its not just being fed well before calving, the 50-60 days before breeding is also a critical time for young cows/first calvers. The nutrition aspect during this postpartum period is paramount as to whether they breed back or not, continue to grow, etc.. It is sometimes overlooked for first calvers because they can get lumped into being treated like mature cows, even though their needs are greater.

strihafarms":3e6qpwhh said:
littletom":3e6qpwhh said:

And i completely agree about sending the open ones post preg check. I have had a few that i still wonder if maybe i should have kept, but if they are way behind or open, send them if youre sure the bull is up to task and your nutrition program is meeting their requirements. Especially now while prices are still strong, you can recover some of that cost of growing them.

I have a young black cow that I bought when she weighed about 400 pounds and raised her up. She was my 2nd ever cow. She had her first calf March 1 2014 and she still hasn't had her 2nd one and its been 13 months. Normally I would just say sell get rid of her but since I raised this cow and she is my "first" cow since my first one died I'm a little more attached to her. Shes going to get until October to have a calf so that I can prepare to keep a replacement or not for her because I like to keep from within my herd.

Saying all of this, I noticed her yesterday bagging up and looking like shes getting ready to have a calf soon. So hopefully my wait will be over because she raised a 525 pound calf last year at 7 months and this year she is bred to a Charolais so it should be even better since I considered her my best cow last year....so I hope!

So it really matters how you feel about the cow and how long your willing to wait. If this would have been any other cow I would have given it only about 1 more month to have a calf and then it would be gone but since this cow is a little more special to me I am going to give her a little longer but she still would have been gone if no calf came.

Latest posts