Any ideas?

Help Support CattleToday:

Lazy M

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
1,467
Reaction score
75
Location
KY
Just have 3 spring calves left to wean. The stupid Mama cows refuse to bring them anywhere near the corral. The cows will happily eat feed if I bring it to them but won't budge to follow. Forget driving them- they take off to the forest if they suspect anything. In the past these particular cows have come up if I set up a portable corral out of panels in the pasture but this year they won't go anywhere near the panels. Been making attempts for almost 2 weeks now and I'm getting pretty aggravated. I'm considering darting the cows but that'd probably be a mess..
 

Logar

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 14, 2017
Messages
231
Reaction score
0
Water is a biggie - remove all sources other than a trough in the pen - if you can - eventually they will come.
 

snoopdog

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 25, 2017
Messages
1,679
Reaction score
14
Location
ne oklahoma
Only feed in the corral, no exceptions, put the feed out and leave. Move their salt or mineral to the corral. Use the same vehicle every time. I've found the skeptical ones will go in if you leave, just repeat until you can watch and eventually close the gate. Let em get a little hungry. I've got one I call the babysitter, great cow and raises a great calf, but she'll waik right past the gate and take 4 or 5 calves with her to the other end .
 
OP
L

Lazy M

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
1,467
Reaction score
75
Location
KY
Logar said:
Water is a biggie - remove all sources other than a trough in the pen - if you can - eventually they will come.

Good idea, but not possible at this place. Pasture is wide open and has a creek and multiple ponds.
 
OP
L

Lazy M

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
1,467
Reaction score
75
Location
KY
snoopdog said:
Only feed in the corral, no exceptions, put the feed out and leave. Move their salt or mineral to the corral. Use the same vehicle every time. I've found the skeptical ones will go in if you leave, just repeat until you can watch and eventually close the gate. Let em get a little hungry. I've got one I call the babysitter, great cow and raises a great calf, but she'll waik right past the gate and take 4 or 5 calves with her to the other end .
That's my main problem: grass is still pretty good right now and they're not hungry enough to give up their calves for a little feed. I'm not complaining, it's definitely a really good problem to have. Still a bit of a problem, though. I plan to sale these calves in a special sale in mid December and would like to keep them all on the same vaccination schedule. May not be possible though.
 

snoopdog

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 25, 2017
Messages
1,679
Reaction score
14
Location
ne oklahoma
Lazy M said:
snoopdog said:
Only feed in the corral, no exceptions, put the feed out and leave. Move their salt or mineral to the corral. Use the same vehicle every time. I've found the skeptical ones will go in if you leave, just repeat until you can watch and eventually close the gate. Let em get a little hungry. I've got one I call the babysitter, great cow and raises a great calf, but she'll waik right past the gate and take 4 or 5 calves with her to the other end .
That's my main problem: grass is still pretty good right now and they're not hungry enough to give up their calves for a little feed. I'm not complaining, it's definitely a really good problem to have. Still a bit of a problem, though. I plan to sale these calves in a special sale in mid December and would like to keep them all on the same vaccination schedule. May not be possible though.
I still have 2 from the previous calving season, it's not worth the worry, it will come around eventually. I have stressed over the same thing, and have come to that conclusion.
 

Ky hills

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 4, 2016
Messages
3,060
Reaction score
464
Location
Clark County, KY
I usually don’t have a problem with that but last year we did and I know your frustration. Last year we just had to wean as we could get them up. Finally got them all and culled out those cows that didn’t bring their calves up. This year it was back to just calling them up and sorting them out.
I agree with Snoopdog, if you can’t get them up in time I wouldn’t worry too much. When winter hits and they get hungry enough you can get them in then. May not get them in time for a special sale that was our problem too, but it beats wasting time and energy running them.
 

Redgully

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 13, 2018
Messages
1,453
Reaction score
108
Location
Karragullen, Western Australia
This is how i do it. Buy a roll of that electric fence rope they use for horses. I use it in a paddock for a couple of weeks and make sure the electrics is running as hot as can be, even if i have to run an earth wire with it. This rope is so light two of you can easily hold it tight over 100meters. Get behind them and just walk them up, even though no electricity in it they wont go near it. You have to give the cows time to think, if they stop or get anxious stop for a minute to let them process what is happening. If one runs for it let it go and keep the ones in front of you going. This works really well for me.
 

1982vett

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
9,324
Reaction score
96
Location
Central Texas
I just caught a pen smart cows calf. Neither would follow a feed bag. I guess mama started weaning the calf so it had begun following other cows. Mama still didn’t pen.

Understand your wanting to get the job done so maybe a couple good cowboys with a rope and horses are in order....problem with that is it’s probably going to cost you more than the premium you are expecting from weaned calf program...
 
OP
L

Lazy M

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
1,467
Reaction score
75
Location
KY
Redgully said:
This is how i do it. Buy a roll of that electric fence rope they use for horses. I use it in a paddock for a couple of weeks and make sure the electrics is running as hot as can be, even if i have to run an earth wire with it. This rope is so light two of you can easily hold it tight over 100meters. Get behind them and just walk them up, even though no electricity in it they wont go near it. You have to give the cows time to think, if they stop or get anxious stop for a minute to let them process what is happening. If one runs for it let it go and keep the ones in front of you going. This works really well for me.

Interesting idea. May be worth a try as the cattle are familiar with electric. If I can get them close to the corral. Too many trees and wooded areas to use this over much of the farm.
 

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
11,935
Reaction score
560
Location
Central Upstate New York
Redgully - I basically use the same system - all the time. I have polywire on a reel. I take an end, nephew holds the reel. We walk thru our cows and pick out the cows or pairs we want and just walk them up. I have only a couple cows that will try to dart under the polywire, but if you shake it and wait, they will turn. My cows are VERY broke to 1-strand electric fence.
Sometimes we are 20' apart, sometimes 100' apart.
If you generally use portable fencing, polywire, run a long fence from your coral out, so when you get close, you have a barrier that they have gotten used to being there, so you can hold them better into a funnel.
 

shaz

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 9, 2010
Messages
1,860
Reaction score
122
Location
Middle Tn
Can you move the rest of the herd to another pasture and feed the problem cows range cubes by hand?
 

M.Magis

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2010
Messages
1,958
Reaction score
48
Location
Cambridge, Ohio
I use the polywire “funnel” as well. A piece of white string will work if they’re used to polywire and electric.
 
OP
L

Lazy M

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
1,467
Reaction score
75
Location
KY
Made some progress. Caught 2 of the 3 in the temp panel corral. Got one loaded but the other got it's head under the panels and crawled out before I could get it on the trailer. :bang: Maybe tomorrow. I had to use the 4 wheeler to separate the mama cows and run them off. Then the calves came with the rest of the cows.
 
OP
L

Lazy M

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
1,467
Reaction score
75
Location
KY
Silver said:
It never ceases to amaze me how many people have cattle and don't have horses. :hide:

Have a few old nags but this time of year I usually only have about 1.5 hrs to work whenever I get home from my regular job before dark. It's so much quicker to turn the key on my 4 wheeler than saddle a horse. :tiphat:
 
OP
L

Lazy M

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
1,467
Reaction score
75
Location
KY
Got those suckers! Probably ended up running them 3 miles but they finally gave up and ran into the lot.
 

Latest posts

Top