Any ideas how to

Help Support CattleToday:

First,I gotta know what happened! Second,only thing I can think of is piece by piece by hand.(sorry)

Okay, so firstly peg - the property was in a pretty awful state when the boss got it. It had a three strand wire boundary fence and no internal fences, no one had been there for ten years, the bloke who had lived there treated it as a dump - rubbish, bits of old machinery, car bodies, scrap metal and broken glass everywhere. Oh and did I mention the cattle inside the house, eating the lino in the kitchen? To cut a long story short my boss was the only one game to buy it and has been working hard the last six years to turn it around. The area in question has been fenced off, as it is really not suitable for animals in the current state. But with expanding numbers, and a recent contract we have got to set up a goat quarrantine station, we would really like to have that area functional. It is about 1/2 an acre.

Which brings me to angus/brangus - I had thought of that but considering it is quite a large area and the glass goes down about 1/2 to 1 metre into the soil.

Mike, I will go glass magnet shopping this afternoon!

If you can't find a glass magnet, ;-) The next best thing would be, remove the top 8-10 inches of dirt and glass, fill it back in with clean dirt or gravel.

I'm with KenB on this one. Just take the top off, fill it back in with clean. Who cares if 10-12 inches down there is some old stuff?

hire your local 4H club to come out and clean up-it's amazing how much junk a group of kids and parents can get cleaned up-a 1/2 acre isn't all that big.

I just had the same problem on a piece of lease property. It has been used as a dump for the past 25 yrs by the past tenant.

I used a backhoe. I dug a deep pit and took the top layer from the dump and almost filled the pit. That left me with a lot of extra dirt that I used to cover the dump and finish filling the pit.

I was fortunite in that I already owned the hoe. You may have to rent one or subcontract to others.

You could bury it in a small trench (dig bucket width and push top few inches into it), or my option would be plow it under. Once glass gets in the ground and the edges dulled, it's no biggie. I find glass pieces occasionally around here (multiple dump sites in modern day pastures, back in the 1920's and 30's). I don't usually bother with them because unless they break apart (which is hard because they are such small pieces), they can't even cut a person's hand.

Latest posts